Best fish / beasts from the deep on a barbie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
On a related note. I'm a card carrying meatatarian, but genuinely wouldn't mind cutting back for all sorts of reasons. Can anyone recommend a non meat burger and/or sausage that doesn't taste like shredded Y fronts boiled in Bernard Mannings sweat?
The cauldron ranges are meant to be the best. I tried the Lincolnshire sausages. They taste ok, but the texture is a bit spongy...and the high level of protein gave my innards a bit of a shock ... but I did also have beans and a fried egg...ummm...

I’ll try the Cumberland too, but maybe in a casserole when autumn comes

I’ve got some Linda Mc sausages in freezer to try

Most of the meat substitute things look a bit grim tbh (bacon, ham, chicken slices) and super processed

A friend has recommended Tesco spicy bean burgers from the frozen aisle but I’ve not yet tried (out of stock locally)

On a related note. I'm a card carrying meatatarian, but genuinely wouldn't mind cutting back for all sorts of reasons. Can anyone recommend a non meat burger and/or sausage that doesn't taste like shredded Y fronts boiled in Bernard Mannings sweat?
I think the Linda McCartney ones are as good as they get. They're made from soy like a lot of non meat products, which not everyone (me but once I could), can eat.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Well...I went to Morrisons and filled my panniers with
2 x sea bream (my mum will probably have the other)
2 x mackerel fillets (might scoff both)
Raw prawns (just the normal peeled biggish ones)
A bag of lemon and limes
Flat leaf parsley
Chilli halloumi
Mushrooms
Corn on the cob
I have courgettes

No sign of a fish basket thingy, I'll maybe try elsewhere later

(oh and a finger of fudge which I've already scoffed :biggrin: )

Must say they had an excellent range :okay:

Adam4868

Guru
Well...I went to Morrisons and filled my panniers with
2 x sea bream (my mum will probably have the other)
2 x mackerel fillets (might scoff both)
Raw prawns (just the normal peeled biggish ones)
A bag of lemon and limes
Flat leaf parsley
Chilli halloumi
Mushrooms
Corn on the cob
I have courgettes

No sign of a fish basket thingy, I'll maybe try elsewhere later

(oh and a finger of fudge which I've already scoffed :biggrin: )

Must say they had an excellent range :okay:
What time and address ?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cauldron veggy sausage, really 'meaty' texture and good flavour.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Too late for you now but we always have breaded cod fish fingers on a BBQ. Dead easy to cook and eat AND you dont need a fancy gizmo to keep them from falling apart.

I know it's a bit late in the day, but whole rainbow trout.

Easy to clean (also applies to any whole fish): stick scissors up the butthole and cut all the way to the chin, then just pull the insides out. Rinse under the tap. Trim the fins off with scissors. The latter is helped if you grip the fish with slightly damp kitchen roll - it won't squirt out of your grip. Slash the skin three times on each side with a sharp serrated knife, although take care not to cut right through the flesh.

Now I give you two options.

1) Lemon, parsley, garlic. Season inside and out with salt and generously with ground black pepper. Stick a small wedge of lemon, a little parsley and a sliver of garlic in each slash you've made. Then shove several slices of lemon, a small bunch of parsley and plenty of sliced garlic in the body cavity

2) Chinese style. Season body cavity with chinese 5 spice, soy and sesame oil. Stick a thin slice of ginger and sliver of garlic in each slash. Fill the body cavity with slices of ginger and garlic and chopped green from salad onions. Splash the skin generously with soy.

These are also great done in the oven in a foil parcel - 25 mins at 180C fan.

Top Bottom