Best fish / beasts from the deep on a barbie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Why set fire to the fish in the first pla-i-ce...

Get a nice and fresh side of salmon and a sharp knife. Add some soy sauce and wasabi. And bingo! - a healthy, gut-reducing, air-quality positive meal for one! You could add fresh ginger (not ginger biscuits because you're not 5), coriander, lemon, to taste. Wash it down with a medium-dry white and then something bubbly like a cava, for eks. and you'll feel great.

I don't know how it will go down with your family but if they're anything like mine they probably think you're a bit of a dick anyway for riding a bike.

If you don't want to "cook" the fish...

Then cured salmon (gravadlax) a la Hairy Bikers is fabulous. :hungry:

I don't make the full quantity (usually a half side) and work out the amount of curing rub by weight. Five days being cured, turned every day (and weighted by a heavy object), then I pat it dry, wrap it in cling film and leave it in the fridge to mature for a further few days. That last step isn't in the recipe, but I find that the flavour improves if it's given that bit of extra time.

classic33

Leg End Member
I’m going to a BBQ. Cooking will be involved
(And I don’t much like sashimi, at least not in the quantity for a main meal to fill me up!)

And it’s today...I don’t have 5 days (at least) to cure fish :rolleyes:
You got the bread yet?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I’m going to a BBQ. Cooking will be involved
(And I don’t much like sashimi, at least not in the quantity for a main meal to fill me up!)

And it’s today...I don’t have 5 days (at least) to cure fish :rolleyes:
Properly home made/cured (not like the commercial packets) it's a completely different animal, iyswim. Delicious.

Properly home made/cured (not like the commercial packets) it's a completely different animal, iyswim. Delicious.

Yeah, definitely. Plus the added bonus that aside from the ratio of sugar and salt to quantity of fish, you can tailor the rest of the curing rub to your personal tastes.

And works out cheaper than the packet stuff, even more so if you can get the fish on offer, or, even better, on sticker.

classic33

Leg End Member
Bloody typical. You get the unimpottant bits but leave the REALLY important things to others ^_^
She said she'd yet to get the bread
Unfortunately, I can't feed the 5000 from two fishies...and I'm yet to get bread

stephec

Legendary Member
On a related note. I'm a card carrying meatatarian, but genuinely wouldn't mind cutting back for all sorts of reasons. Can anyone recommend a non meat burger and/or sausage that doesn't taste like shredded Y fronts boiled in Bernard Mannings sweat?

It's a bit worrying that you should know that.

On a more serious note, I'm interested in the answer to your question as well.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Bbq rained off so fish foil cooked in oven. Both with lemon, fresh flat leaf parsley, butter. Bream was lovely, mackerel overcooked as it got sort of forgotten :blush:

There was loads of meat but actually not tempted at all

I had no bread, black rice salad and new potato salad, plus sweetcorn. Eton mess for pud. And enough craft ale

This one was the best

Attachments

• 3ABB6BBB-0EAF-4E8D-99FB-FB3531E9EFE1.jpeg
    3ABB6BBB-0EAF-4E8D-99FB-FB3531E9EFE1.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom