Best fish / beasts from the deep on a barbie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve also stopped eating meat. Fish are nice creatures too. I may stop eating all creatures. We’re destroying the planet to eat abused animals that we don’t even need to eat for survival. It’s actually pure bonkers.
That’s your choice. I’d struggle for protein without fish/seafood and variety

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks, always on the lookout for more fish recipes at home...breaded whatever gets dull :laugh:

@Dave7 I'm not putting fish fingers on a BBQ..I'm not 5 years old ;)
Dont knock it till youve tried it....they are lovely.
We had a bbq 2 weeks ago and offered them. 3 people said WHAT....NEVER HEARD OF IT. Each tried a fish finger barm and they all went back for more.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I tried eating fish more last year and found i started to get a belly . Cut the fish out and belly went away .

bruce1530

Guru
Another way to do salmon on a barbie is to hot smoke it. It’s a bit of a faff, but worth it - but too much hassle if you’re taking it to someone else’s barbie!

The recipe I use:

Start with a whole side of salmon, skin on. Mix 1 large cup of salt and one of sugar. Cover the salmon with the salt/sugar mix, put in a bag, leave in fridge overnight. The salt/sugar mix will cure the salmon and draw the liquid out
Next day, the salmon will be covered in a slimy salt/sugar gunge. Quickly rinse it off and pat the salmon dry. It’ll be quite firm and red.

Now the fun bit.
Old baking tray, with a layer of foil on top.
Put a couple of spoonfuls of Lapsang Souchong tea leaves on the foil (I use about a dozen tea bag worth).
Wire rack above that, then salmon, skin-side down.

Fold the foil up to make a sealed tent over the salmon. Make sure it’s sealed all round.

Put it on the barbecue for about 20 mins, to smoke it in the tea smoke.

Serve hot or cold with crusty bread and ginger butter.

While you could conceivably cook this on a hob, you house would stink for weeks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Another way to do salmon on a barbie is to hot smoke it. It’s a bit of a faff, but worth it - but too much hassle if you’re taking it to someone else’s barbie!

The recipe I use:

Start with a whole side of salmon, skin on. Mix 1 large cup of salt and one of sugar. Cover the salmon with the salt/sugar mix, put in a bag, leave in fridge overnight. The salt/sugar mix will cure the salmon and draw the liquid out
Next day, the salmon will be covered in a slimy salt/sugar gunge. Quickly rinse it off and pat the salmon dry. It’ll be quite firm and red.

Now the fun bit.
Old baking tray, with a layer of foil on top.
Put a couple of spoonfuls of Lapsang Souchong tea leaves on the foil (I use about a dozen tea bag worth).
Wire rack above that, then salmon, skin-side down.

Fold the foil up to make a sealed tent over the salmon. Make sure it’s sealed all round.

Put it on the barbecue for about 20 mins, to smoke it in the tea smoke.

Serve hot or cold with crusty bread and ginger butter.

While you could conceivably cook this on a hob, you house would stink for weeks.
That sounds fun! Thanks.

Top Bottom