Best fitness band

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
I use a Fitbit Flex and it's really, really good. I was really surprised how a little gadget like that can change your habits. My husband has one too and you can send each other (or if your friends have a fitbit too) challenges to see who is most active. I can in a very roundabout way get it to sync with strava.

The jawbone might have changed since I was looking but it doesn't sync wirelessly? It has to be plugged in and there's a little cap you can lose quite easily. As I say they may have changed it to compete with fitbit etc.

I got my partner the Jawbone Up24, and he seems very happy with it. He wanted a Fitbit Force, but after a year it was showing no signs of appearing in the UK (and recalled in the US)

Battery lasts 8 days, and it syncs with phone via bt, which is a really useful feature. He's taken the 10,000 steps to heart, and goes for a walk/run or just walks around the house to bring it up to 10,000 before midnight.

Though I see now the new fitbit charge is out, so that would be worth looking at too.

Stephenite

Membå
I'd like one too. I was just about to buy a secondhand Fitbit Flex, but found out it isn't compatible with my mobile phone. HTC Desire 500 - release date 1 year ago, which is after the Fitbit Flex came out, so that's annoying.

Now I'm looking at Garmin Vivofit. It has a screen so you don't, absolutely, need to rely on it synchronising with your mobile. It comes with a USB-dings which ensures compatibility with a pc.

... and now someone mentions a Garmin Forerunner 15!!

It's going to take to xmas to decide what i want...

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I'd like one too. I was just about to buy a secondhand Fitbit Flex, but found out it isn't compatible with my mobile phone. HTC Desire 500 - release date 1 year ago, which is after the Fitbit Flex came out, so that's annoying.

Now I'm looking at Garmin Vivofit. It has a screen so you don't, absolutely, need to rely on it synchronising with your mobile. It comes with a USB-dings which ensures compatibility with a pc.

... and now someone mentions a Garmin Forerunner 15!!

It's going to take to xmas to decide what i want...

Have you tried google fit thats what I am using at the moment, all you need to do is have your phone in your pocket.

Stephenite

Membå
Just installed the app. Thanks Phil. Saw your comment further upthread so i had a look at Google Fit on the laptop earlier today. It doesn't show you very much so i dismissed it.

Installed it now, and i'm already up to 39 steps from pacing up and down for a bit. :smile:

I will have to find out what else it does, but can you tell me how accurate it appears to be?

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Just installed the app. Thanks Phil. Saw your comment further upthread so i had a look at Google Fit on the laptop earlier today. It doesn't show you very much so i dismissed it.

Installed it now, and i'm already up to 39 steps from pacing up and down for a bit. :smile:

I will have to find out what else it does, but can you tell me how accurate it appears to be?

I have a pedometer and it shows about the same with that.

It has only just come out so it is quite basic but it can tell the difference between me cycling and walking without being told. They should add more features in time, I use mapmywalk.com and you can connect that app to the google fit app and it shares data with it ok.

I was going to get a Misfit Flash when they come out this month but I might not bother a this works ok for me.

Stephenite

Membå
I have just tested it. Google Fit reckons it's 677 steps to the fridge in the local mini-market and back. That's about right, i would of thought. If i do that ten times i've exceeded my daily goal. Risk getting a few odd looks though, and they might stop me coming in after a day or two of that.

I've been quite excited about getting a fitness tracker but, like you, if this works i can save my money. Maybe, spend it on the better models that are due to come out later this year/next year.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I use a Fitbit Flex and it's really, really good. I was really surprised how a little gadget like that can change your habits. My husband has one too and you can send each other (or if your friends have a fitbit too) challenges to see who is most active. I can in a very roundabout way get it to sync with strava.

The jawbone might have changed since I was looking but it doesn't sync wirelessly? It has to be plugged in and there's a little cap you can lose quite easily. As I say they may have changed it to compete with fitbit etc.
sounds like this may be the one for me then

Stephenite

Membå
Shamelessly stolen from http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluetooth-Smart-Devices-List.aspx

logobluetoothsmartready-30px.jpg

Manufacturer Product Name Type of Product
Apple iPad (Air, Mini, 3rd & 4th gen) Tablet
Apple iPhone (6 Plus, 6, 5s, 5c, 5 & 4s) Phone
Apple iPod touch Portable Media Player
Apple MacBook Air Laptop
Apple MacBook Pro Laptop
Apple Mac mini Computer
Apple Apple TV Smart TV console
Google Nexus 5, Nexus 4 Phone
Google Nexus 7, Nexus 10 Tablet
BlackBerry Q5, Q10 Phone
BlackBerry Z3, Z10, Z30, Phone
BlackBerry Passport Phone
BlackBerry P'9982, P'9983 Phone
connectBlue OBS421 Module
DISH Hopper DVR
DISH Hopper with Sling DVR
Fujitsu Arrows Tablet
Fujitsu Lifebook Series Laptop Tablet
Fujitsu Stylistic Series Laptop Tablet
HTC Butterfly 2, S Phone
HTC Desire (510, 516, 601, 610, 616, 816, 820, eye) Phone
HTC One Series Phone
Huawei Ascend P7 Phone
LG Optimus Exceed 2, Fuel, L35, L40, L65, L70, L80, L90, G, G Pro Phone
LG F60, F70, Realm, Tribute, Volt, VU 3.0 Phone
LG G Series Phone, Tablet
Microsoft Surface Tablet
Motorola Droid RAZR, Ultra, Maxx, Mini Phone
Motorola Moto E, G, Luge, X Phone
NEC LaVie Series Laptop
NEC VersaPro Series Laptop
Nokia Lumia (525, 530, 620, 625, 630, 635, 720, 730, 735, 830, 930, Icon, 1320, 1520, 2520) Phone
Panasonic CF-LX3 Laptop
Pantech Vega Secret UP Phone
Samsung All-In-One PC 700A3D Laptop
Samsung ATIV Smart PC Laptop
Samsung Galaxy Series Phone
Sony VAIO S Series Laptop
Sony Xperia Series Phone, Tablet

Stephenite

Membå
I bought a Garmin Vivosmart today. It was originally supposed to be a xmas present from the gf, but i saw an advert offering them at two-thirds ordinary price at a new sportsshop for a limited time. Had the opportunity so picked it up.

I'm wearing it now. It's probably the best looking 'fitness band' around with a screen. I feel the Garmin Connect app on the pc is quite basic, even though i have nothing to compare it with. I can't comment on the phone app because i don't have 'bluetooth smart'. Is it £100 better than the (free) Google Fit app? - possibly not. Do i like it? - yes, i think i do.

Nick Stone

I bought a Garmin Vivosmart today. It was originally supposed to be a xmas present from the gf, but i saw an advert offering them at two-thirds ordinary price at a new sportsshop for a limited time. Had the opportunity so picked it up.

I'm wearing it now. It's probably the best looking 'fitness band' around with a screen. I feel the Garmin Connect app on the pc is quite basic, even though i have nothing to compare it with. I can't comment on the phone app because i don't have 'bluetooth smart'. Is it £100 better than the (free) Google Fit app? - possibly not. Do i like it? - yes, i think i do.

I to have the Vivosmart, it's sweet, runs on the iPhone seamlessly and the app is good, hooked up with my 510 so heart rate runs and use on rollers etc. looks good battery life is great mess with a lot have texts and mail coming through it etc charge every 8 days or so, better than they say! It updates automatically to phone unlike the vivofit which I had to do manually, but was still a good tracker, for what I want it is perfect, you should like it hopefully, now I can even tell time at night in the dark lol

Panter

Just call me Chris...

That does look really good, would be interested to hear your longer term thoughts on it if you get chance once you've used it for a while?

Top Bottom