Best gold standard lock that will attach to bike frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
I know this is a question that will have been asked many times...however I would like to know the best gold standard lock that will attach (easily) to my bike frame. My bikes are insured on household insurance and just having renewed the new ensurer insists on gold standard lock when the bike is out and about and attached to a secure object. I have a kenisis racelight 2 frame and bike and a stainless steel genesis equilibrium.....both are quite valuable hence the question....thanks in anticipation

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got a Masterlock Street Fortum which was the cheapest Sold Secure Gold lock that I could lay my paws on about ten years ago. The mounting bracket was absolute rubbish and the lock would jump out at the slightest bump in the road, but the lock is still soldiering on. I don't know if they have improved the bracket.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Personally if I had a nice bike (and I don't) then I would go for a chain and a D-lock, or a chain at a pinch, but neither of those will fit easily to a frame. Even the best D-locks are vulnerable to a car jack and length of pipe.

If you want to go for a D-lock alone I would opt for the Kryptonite New York locks. Get something at least with a double dead lock.

Kryptonite New York locks
The fahgeddaboutit (or however you spell it) will not mount on the frame. Not sure about the other ones, but I assume it's due to weight so probably true for all the NY range.

@runner I would certainly trust a U-lock more than a chain, which can be cut with bolt cutters, that being said, have you looked at hiploks? Chains that go around your waist not the bike.

Edit: Oh, this one!! http://www.wiggle.com/abus-bordo-granit-x-plus-85cm/

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought a huge great OnGuard Brute D-lock. It weighs 1.6 kg and it only took 2 kms of riding with it attached to the frame by the clamp provided to persuade me that I wasn't going to attach it to my frame that way in future! :okay:

I was convinced that the clamp would fail sooner or later, and probably sooner! I carry the lock attached to my rucksack now.

I only ride 1 km each way to Lidl with it. I wouldn't want to ride too much further with that weight on my back. If I had to carry it on the bike, I would securely bungee it to a rack.

The actual lock is very good. About as much security as you are going to get short of carrying something ludicrously heavy.

Tangoup51

Don't forget about Alarmed locks! There use to be a good line in Alarmed D-locks if you're interested.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Abus Granit X comes with a bracket
This looks good
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-granit...|pcrid|67090793342|pkw||pmt||prd|5360650754uk

But it would appear that you need to buy the mount separate....what mount would I need for a genesis equilibrium stainless steel?

vickster

Legendary Member
OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
I am about to order the abus granit x plus 540 with EAZYKF bracket to attach to the frame I am rather ignorant and not sure which size of bracket. There is a choice of 2 .....15-35mm bike frame bracket or 28-36 bike frame bracket perhaps you could help :smile: I have a stainless steel equilibrium and this is the frame below

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/2964...tainless-steel-road-bike-frameset-silver.aspx

I suspect it is the 15-35mm diameter...do you think I am correct? how do i check?

Thanks again

vickster

Legendary Member
I am about to order the abus granit x plus 540 with EAZYKF bracket to attach to the frame I am rather ignorant and not sure which size of bracket. There is a choice of 2 .....15-35mm bike frame bracket or 28-36 bike frame bracket perhaps you could help :smile: I have a stainless steel equilibrium and this is the frame below

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/2964...tainless-steel-road-bike-frameset-silver.aspx

I suspect it is the 15-35mm diameter...do you think I am correct? how do i check?

Thanks again
Call Genesis and ask? Or ask your LBS? Try Evans?

Top Bottom