Best guess at how long

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bornagain

It all depends on the weather up here; I do Barrow upon Humber to Grimsby 3-4 times a week in the summer; my time varies from about 51 mins with a back wind to 1:05 with a head wind - although as most comuters will be aware, its usually a head wind both ways !

P.

OP
OP
sticky sherbert

sticky sherbert

The route is from Goxhill (hill!!!) to Keelby so you should have a pretty good idea how long Bornagain.

bornagain

Which way are you going to go ? and at what time ?

I go, Barrow, Past Goxhill, left at Thornton Abbey, the back lane to East Halton, A160 roundabout, Bluestone pub corner, past the Mobil petrol station, over the A180, Stallingborough, Healing, Great Cotes, Work (at a humber bank factory)

Do you plan to do it all year ? or R U a warm weather cyclist (like me !!)

P.

OP
OP
sticky sherbert

sticky sherbert

Thats the route, I will come out of Goxhill at Soff Lane and turn off for Keelby at Little london just before the frm shop. Plan to do it all year:ohmy: but not every day as the kids need taking to nursery at the beggining of the week and they would seriously slow the journey time.

Fred

OP
OP
sticky sherbert

sticky sherbert

The Idea was to set off around 7, may set off earlier depending on how nlong it does take me and what time the bloody kids decide we should be getting up. Self employed so the sooner I get in the more I get done the sooner I go home. wont be on the bike till Wednesday night at the earliest when I will leave the van at work (yes I am a van man, not white though) so you can expect rain from then on in.
If you see a tramp on a new bike coughing and wheezing give him a slap on the back and say hello.
Fred

bornagain

I reckon it will take about 40 mins on a normal day, maybe slower, maybe faster.

What do you do for a living ? 'cause if it's hard physical work then it may be a slog home- particularly if (or rather when) it's windy

P.

OP
OP
sticky sherbert

sticky sherbert

Cabinet Maker so every day is different, Going to Stourbridge on Wednesday so will be ready for getting my legs going by the end of the day, thats the plan anyway. If I leave the motor at work then there is no getting out of the ride Thursday morning .

bornagain

Maybe see you then.....
P.

OP
OP
sticky sherbert

sticky sherbert

The results are in

First commute this morning with a time of 49 mins and 3 seconds
so the smugness goes jointly to Dantheman and Tetedelacourse (revised guess)

The return journey was much improved at 43 mins in almost identicall conditions.

A couple of things you all could have warned me about, firstly just how much my backside would be hurting by the time I got there, and also the whole new level of disgusting road kill gets to when you almost ride through it!

Ithink I will now go for a bath and see if I can warm some feeling back into my nether region.

Tetedelacourse

sticky sherbert said:
OK you can have smugness to,

must vsay I am impressed with the accuracy of the estimates, some of them anyway.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:smile:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Expect to be under 40 mins within a few weeks. But so long as you enjoy it, who cares!

I saw a dead toad yesterday, just in time to avoid running over it. Toads give me the heebies. In fact I've shuddered whilst typing this.:biggrin:

dan1w

42 minutes if you don't get a puncture.

I had serious puncture issues with a Maxxis Detonator, although they were 700x25's.

Top Bottom