Best Helmet for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cycling caps are ace as they have 2 speed settings by flipping the visor:

Mr Slow
Captain Speedy

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Where do you park your bike? Can't you just leave it on the bike, better if a covered area?
When I used to wear one, I wouldn't leave it where it could be damaged by other people parking bikes carelessly or vandalised. IMO either you think it has a safety effect and should protect it from damage, or you don't and could wear a soft hat that packs away more neatly.

vickster

Legendary Member
When I used to wear one, I wouldn't leave it where it could be damaged by other people parking bikes carelessly or vandalised. IMO either you think it has a safety effect and should protect it from damage, or you don't and could wear a soft hat that packs away more neatly.
I’ve never had a helmet damaged in the secure work carpark when hung on the handlebars. Or indeed when locked to the bike outside.
I’m happy to carry on doing this.
@jack9266 asked for advice on helmets, not for other headgear suggestions nor a debate on helmets more generally

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I’ve never had a helmet damaged in the secure work carpark when hung on the handlebars. Or indeed when locked to the bike outside.
How do you know?

@jack9266 asked for advice on helmets, not for other headgear suggestions nor a debate on helmets more generally
Specifically, one that stores easily in a bag, not for advice to leave safety equipment where it's very vulnerable to unseen damage! Others have made useful suggestions. I never found a good solution to this key flaw.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’m happy to carry on doing this.

There's a rider at my office who does the same in our crowded bike shed where some people are really clumsy with other people's property. I've lost count of the number of times I've picked it up off the concrete and put it back on the bars.
He's probably thinking the same as you.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a rider at my office who does the same in our crowded bike shed where some people are really clumsy with other people's property. I've lost count of the number of times I've picked it up off the concrete and put it back on the bars.
He's probably thinking the same as you.
There are no other bikes parked where I leave mine

or a third setting if you put it on backwards so peak points backwards

Teenage tearaway
Or to the side - Fresh Prince of Bel Air

vickster

Legendary Member
How do you know?

Specifically, one that stores easily in a bag, not for advice to leave safety equipment where it's very vulnerable to unseen damage! Others have made useful suggestions. I never found a good solution to this key flaw.
I offered no advice. I asked where the bike is parked and whether leaving the helmet with the bike might be an option. There are now lockers next to where I park for storage so I don't need to leave the helmet or anything else on the bike, although I had no qualms about doing so previously

Top Bottom