Best Helmet for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jack9266

Where do you park your bike? Can't you just leave it on the bike, better if a covered area?

There are of course folding helmet options, no idea what they are like so make sure you do lots of research, some options here (plenty more through google)

https://www.coachmag.co.uk/cycling/6920/the-best-folding-bike-helmets
This website was handy, if you had to choose from one of them which one would you go for?

OP
OP
J

jack9266

From doing a bit of research around them- Hedkayse seem to be interesting as they say their helmet can take multiple hits

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a double edged sword - research the safety standards and you'll realise how ridiculous the standards are, and how the testing fails to relate the the reality of crashing with a lid. I'm not intending to ignite the safety debate, just pointing out that CE and SNELL are inadequate to a breathtaking degree for an item that is supposed to promote safety.

Buy on fit, comfort and features - using the standards as a yardstick isnt at all helpful.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That's a double edged sword - research the safety standards and you'll realise how ridiculous the standards are, and how the testing fails to relate the the reality of crashing with a lid. I'm not intending to ignite the safety debate, just pointing out that CE and SNELL are inadequate to a breathtaking degree for an item that is supposed to promote safety.

Buy on fit, comfort and features - using the standards as a yardstick isnt at all helpful.

From memory though, the Snell standard B95 is higher than the current EN1078 which is pretty useless thanks to the manufacturers successfully demanding less stringent testing.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Best bet is go try some on. You'll also want to factor in 'ventilation' - I use a lid with a 'buff/skull cap' under it, to either absorb sweat and keep me cool in summer, or using a windproof one, keep my head warm in winter.

As for taking up space, they all take up just about the same space, unless you fork out serious money for a folding one.

Have a look at Planet X bikes, they have loads of helmets from £15, lots of styles. Decathlon are another good place to go try some on.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note:
some post have been deleted as OT for this thread, which is about where to store one's helmet in the workplace.
The efficiency or not of helmets themselves is discussed here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/helmet-discussions.174/
Thank you!

Top Bottom