Best Hybrid for £500???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamN01

Hello all,

My first post! I have been commuting to work on a rather slow mountain bike for a little while and I am now set on upgrading to a hybrid. My commute is on 5 miles each way however I also plan to start on some longer rides and may complete the C2C ride in May of next year.

I have £500 to spend on a new bike and I have been recommended both a Cannondale Bad boy or a Specialized Sirrus, which is the best of these bikes? Are there better hybrids for £500?

There also seem to be a number of versions of each of these bike. Are any in particular better than others?

Thanks for any advice?

Sam

Downward

Guru
I have a Kona dew Deluxe - cost £450 but maybe around for less now (2008 model)

OP
OP
SamN01

SamN01

Hybrid £500

I did look at the Kona and I really liked the look of it. I just feel a little overwhelmed by the choice available! I really dont understand the options and difference between lots of the technical stuff. I am sure I am not the only one who finds it all a little complex.

If only bikes came with top trumps scores, sure would make my life easier!

Thanks for the responses so far!

shades.5

i got a cluade butler urban 200 for £270 , excellent starting bike , been cycling with it for about 6 months and done plenty of miles , but to be honest am looking to upgrade next year , but like alot of people said the choice out there is mindboggling

jimboalee

Evans Cycles have a good range on their website.

I've just been on there to read how they describe a Hybrid.

Have a look, make a shortlist and then have a Google to find a good deal.

Happy hunting. :eek:

OP
OP
SamN01

SamN01

Update

Hi,

I went to look at the Sirrus today and I am a little worried that it is just a little too much of a road bike, the tyres look really thin and where I live in Cambridge I often cut through a park or find myself on a cycle path etc where I am not sure the Sirrus would cope.

I went to Rutland Cycling, the guy there was very helpful however all the other Hybrids they had, Scott, Marin etc had the opporsite problem, the tyres all looked too much like a mountain bike wheel.

Am I looking for something that does not exist? want something that is sporty like a Sirrus but with a 'slightly' wider wheel (not like the Crosstrail or any of the other Hybrids they have).

Can anyone recommend a bike? Should I buy a Sirrus and put a slightly wider wheel on it (can I do that), will the shop sell it too me like that?

Thanks again for any advice.

Sam

The wheels on the sirrus will be stronger than you think.
My road bike with thin racing tyres (23mm wide) manages the odd bit of track and tow path etc.
I think the Sirrus will come with 25mm or 28mm tyres so should cope fine as long as you're not going really off road (like mud etc).

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Did a muddy towpath on Saturday on my new 28's. Handled it no problem... just need to gain a little confidence on the slimmer tyres which is happening pretty quickly (only had them on the bike for a week and a half).

OP
OP
SamN01

SamN01

Thanks guys that is very helpful indeed.

I am going to Evans in the City tomorrow to take a look at the Kona Dew Delux for a comparison. My heart says go for the Sirrus. I hope to have made my mind up after tomorrow!

OP
OP
SamN01

SamN01

Went to Hlafords

And looked at the Dew and Dr Dew, they did not have Deluxe however I have decided it is between the Deluxe and the Sirrus and I am leaning towards the Dew with its 700x37 wheels.

There is a bike shop in Liverpool doing the Dr. Dew for £555.39 which looks like a great deal on what looks to my untrained eye like a very good bike (?)

Is there any problem with buying a bike on the web from a shop 400 miles from where you live? My first thought is what if it goes wrong there is no way of taking it back. Perhaps I am better off ordering a Deluxe from London / Cambridge?

Top Bottom