Best (i.e. most hassle free) way to sell a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
I'm planning to sell my car within the next month or so and was wondering about the best way of going about it. There seem to be a lot of those companies that buy cars from people with the purpose of selling them on (e.g. webuyanycar.com) which makes things easier but I have heard very mixed reviews about them. I have thought about Autotrader but was put off by reports of being hassled by telesales canvassers. The other option is to sell it privately but then I have to deal with the hassle of dealing with phone calls at all hours of the day and arranging to meet people and the risk that you don't know who you're dealing with. Has anyone here got any good advice/recommendations?

It depends up to a point on the car.

What is the value?

The less hassle you have, the likelihood is you will make less money... Someone else is doing the hassly thing for you. They will need to make something.

I tend to run cars into the ground, so onward sale is rarely an issue.

I would avoid 'any car' websites like the plague.

Under £4k, I might be inclined to use the local press. I once sold a car through the For Sale pages online at work. There are billions of ways. The methods are many and many of them work perfectly well.

If you're replacing it, a hassle-free but often expensive way is to trade it in against the new one.

You will get the best advice if the readers of this thread know what the car is.

A 1966 1750 Duetto with 15,000 certified miles will be a different proposition from a 2003 Vectra with 250,000 miles on it.

You never know, if you say what it is you might even get a buyer on these pages....

Big boy

There is no sure fire way of a hassle free sale of anything, no matter where you sell or advertise it.
Theres ebay , gumtree (gumtree is free) or just print out a for sale sign and put it in the window of your car.
It all depends on who turns up on the day, just give a good description of the car.
Mention any service history etc.
I wish you luck and im sure some of the others will have more experience than me.

defy-one

I have always used autotrader to buy and sell my cars.

Do your homework - find out what your car is worth and price accordingly. Too high, no buyers, too low and you have lost money. I would often ring people with similar cars and ask general questions etc. helped me build up a true picture of what my car was worth, not what i thought it was worth.

Lastly clean it inside and out,polish it if possible and then take some good pictures with a proper camera. Give lots of info, again look at other adverts if your not car tech savvy.

Then sit back and wait for the phone calls ;-)

Reece

Veteran
I've always used eBay classified ads to sell my cars. £15 for a 28day ad with no final fee at the end.

Never ha d a problem with it. Just search your car on there first then just price yours to sell accordingly.

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
It depends up to a point on the car.

What is the value?

You will get the best advice if the readers of this thread know what the car is.

It is a Vauxhall Corsa SXi 1.2, registered in 2006, just under 16,000 miles on the clock.

According to Autotrader it is worth somewhere around £1800, I'm not bothered about getting the absolute best price for it, just don't want a load of hassle.

I meant to post this thread in the Cafe, is there a way of moving it or is it only mods that can move threads?

400bhp

Guru
It is a Vauxhall Corsa SXi 1.2, registered in 2006, just under 16,000 miles on the clock.

According to Autotrader it is worth somewhere around £1800, I'm not bothered about getting the absolute best price for it, just don't want a load of hassle.

I meant to post this thread in the Cafe, is there a way of moving it or is it only mods that can move threads?

Stick it on Pistonheads for £1400 (no offers) and explain that you are selling it at this price because you don't want the hassle of haggling (or somesuch words). Pistonheads is free, although you won't be put at the head of the ads page. I think it's about £15 for a good ad that lasts for a month. You generally get relatively better people on there than in autotrader.

You could take it to a few of the local garages, although if they don't know you then you might just get turned away.

simon.r

Person
Another option is to take it to a local dealer who sells similar cars (i.e. relatively low value cars in your case - probably not a main dealer) and sell it to them. You'll get less than if you sell it privately, but it's hassle free.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Put an add in the West Sussex County Times containing details of when and where it is available for inspection
Put it on eBay
Put an A4 ad in the windows
put an add up on the staff noticeboard at work

Selling a car privately comes with hassle unless you px it imo.

Selling a car in our neck of the woods doubly so.

Top Bottom