Best job you nearly had

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

I was offered a post-grad post at a University in NZ but I had to turn it down as I was already living in the States. They couldn't hold it open for me either.:smile:

col

Legendary Member
I was told i would become an apprentice monumentle sculpter,but it was lies just designed to getting me flog my puddins out for £23.50 a week.very dissapointed there.:smile:

amrushton

In my youth I was offered an interview as a tape operator (gopher) at The Manor in Oxfordshire (just after Tubular Bells so the studio was hot). Interview got cancelled so I'll never know if I might have gone on to engineer/produce a hit:sad:.
The Blue Oyster Cult (US rock band) needed a new drummer about 1980 so I contacted the management, offered to pay my own fare in order to get an audition. They contacted me to say the band had found a replacement in their road crew:sad::smile:. Nice of the management to actually reply longhand (no email then) and post the letter to me.

merlinmagic

When I first was looking for work I had an opportunity to take a YTS in the Nottinghamshire Fire Service. I turned it down.

10 years later got a chance to volunteer with Center Square Fire Company in the US. How I wished I had taken that YTS. Yeah the pay is awlful but driving in a big red truck with blues and twos more than makes up for it.

Must admit there is nothing like the adrenaline rush wearing an SCBA inside a burning building.

Now at 33 a bit too old to retrain (Nottinghamshire is really tough to get into) - but my son already wants to be a firefighter.

jay clock

Massive member
When I was 6 or 7 we lived in Birmingham and my Dad's company offered him a 12mth assignment to Australia. My parents waited till it was all confirmed, then told us the good news. About a week later the company decided someone in NZ would be cheaper to send, and the deal was canned. I was gutted!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
ArDee said:
Sorry off topic, my father was a millwright.

Ok, so now I'm kicking myself even more.;)
I got hooked on the idea after working as a volunteer at Mill Green Mill outside Hatfield.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nearly Finance Manager with British Cycling at the Velodrome......

Got through to second interview, but offered my current job..... head or heart......I am afraid head won, and accepted my current job - far more hols, less hours, better pension...boring 'eh....all those Revolution Tickets, telling the squad and David Brailsford that they've spent too much....ahh well

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
merlinmagic said:
When I first was looking for work I had an opportunity to take a YTS in the Nottinghamshire Fire Service. I turned it down.

10 years later got a chance to volunteer with Center Square Fire Company in the US. How I wished I had taken that YTS. Yeah the pay is awlful but driving in a big red truck with blues and twos more than makes up for it.

Must admit there is nothing like the adrenaline rush wearing an SCBA inside a burning building.

Now at 33 a bit too old to retrain (Nottinghamshire is really tough to get into) - but my son already wants to be a firefighter.

Wow, someone else in Nottingham:becool: Have i already said this before?
AS for the job, i have only really gone for the job i have now, i applied to B&Q, the reply was good, i got an 8 on the emotionaly stable or whatever it was rate. Didnt do too well in other places though:laugh:

longers

Legendary Member
I was working in a pub and got talking to a chap in there, turns out he was a bit of a zoologist working in Southern Africa and offered me a job counting lions and measuring trees. He gave me his card.

I lost the card :ohmy:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
longers said:
I was working in a pub and got talking to a chap in there, turns out he was a bit of a zoologist working in Southern Africa and offered me a job counting lions and measuring trees. He gave me his card.

I lost the card :ohmy:
Probably just as well as a lot of trainees for that job end up getting confused, and lions don't half get angry when you wave a tape measure at them.

Top Bottom