Best lights for a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
SON dynohub and stock Brompton lights. The front is surprisingly bright, and illuminates the bit of the road that you want illuminated. If you want a second rear there's room for a standard LED jobby just under the saddle.

Having said that, the bracket of my front light has just snapped, so they're not indestructible.

current budget rules out a SON and I had bad experience of Shimano dynohubs on a previous bike.

So far it looks like....

Smart half watt on the seat post (as all I need is a 1/2 watt bracket)
Brompton Standard Rear

AyUps up front (as all I need it an AyUp bracket)
Something a knog like on the stem/bars in flashing mode

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
SON dynohub and stock Brompton lights. The front is surprisingly bright, and illuminates the bit of the road that you want illuminated. If you want a second rear there's room for a standard LED jobby just under the saddle.

Having said that, the bracket of my front light has just snapped, so they're not indestructible.

To continue the story, I got the bracket replaced when I got the bike serviced. Two days later the light fell off. I decided to upgrade and got in a B&M LED front light with standlight and light sensor, which I tried replacing this afternoon. The bracket doesn't fit, and I need to replace that. The part I seem to need rejoices in the wonderful name QVBKTFLAMDYN.

On the front I use a headlight from brightbikelights.com attaching the light directly to the handlebars via the rubber ring and the battery pack via velcro to the handlebars. Position it away from the stem for clearance from the front wheel when folded. This approach should work with any compact front light.
The rear light is more challenging. I have a 2017 saddle with a screw underneath for mounting a bracket so I have purchased this:
https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompt...rompton-cateye-saddle-mounted-rear-light.html
If you have other cateye lights (who doesn't?!), all you need is the mount, if you can find it.

Having a "Cadbury's Quality Street" tin full of functioning bike lights attaching to the rear seat post, I also bought this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192078358128
I removed the reflector on the rear rack and added this instead onto which my Smart light fitted without affecting the fold. Result! I replaced the reflector, attaching by a single screw and now oriented diagonally.

Another option is clothes-mounted rear lights & helmet lights.

There's also brackets and lights which attach underneath the saddle onto the rails for pre-2017 saddles or non-Brompton saddles. Brompton also make a rear light which replaces the reflector for £15.

Top Bottom