Best lights for Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steppers

I have been riding my Brompton through London on a commute for three years. I have a standard set of handle bars, the slightly extended seat post and the more robust luggage rack in the back. Otherwise it is standard. During that time I have gone through a number of lights (I did not order the Brompton lights when I bought it) and have still to find a set that works well with the fold (particularly the front light).

Grateful for any advice on a reasonably priced front light that will not need moving or removing when I fold the bike down.

Many thanks.

Steppers

Kell

Veteran
There are two things you can do to help yourself massively with regard to front lights.

The first is mount it to the left of the stem. Less likely to hit anything when folded.

The other is to buy an extension for the nipple on the front stem. This pushes the bars ever so slightly further out when the bike's folded and makes it even less likely that anything will catch when folded.

I've just looked on the site where I thought I got mine, but either they don't sell them anymore, or I didn't buy it from where I thought I did.

Maybe someone else will be along to tell you where to pick one up.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Failing that. If you want to go along the USB route. The Exposure Joystick is a small, well made light and it is very effective.

mitchibob

Über Member
The Cateye that is made for Brompton at the front works really well, and I get really decent battery life out of it. On the rear, if your saddle is a 2016 model or later, the tiny cateye for the rear, that screws directly into the saddle is a great little light. Super bright and long battery life too, plus small and cheap enough to have a spare in the saddlebag.

doginabag

I can't find where I have stored my lifhts ovet summer so just been down to Evans. I did intend to pick uo some lezney lights that were recommended a few posts up but they had none in stock. So being the impatient type and not wanting to go to another store i picked up these. Will report back with a verdict.

20180910_121113.jpg

I do have a cheap Chinese triple cree led light that is stupidly bright in the shed. I may make up a bracket to replace the front reflector if I decide I want more'see where I'm going' light.

Mrklaw

I bought the Cateye mini rear light but was disappointed to find it didn’t come with the fitting for the seat. Maybe you have to buy a special Brompton version? Luckily I have the extended seat post (not by choice but was all they had in stock), and that leaves enough space so I can leave the light mounted to the seat post

Front i’ve bought a Cateye 400 but not tried it yet. Have an M handlebar so I expect it may be a challenge to find a home for it.

Kell

Veteran
To buy that Cateye Brompton specific one, you can get it direct from Brompton:

https://www.brompton.com/brompton-g...rapid-mini-rear-battery-lamp/c-24/c-75/p-1738

But if you want to see a little clearer how it works, then check out this link:

https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompt...rompton-cateye-saddle-mounted-rear-light.html

As stated though, it only fits certain Brompton saddles with the square cut out underneath. I bought a new saddle last year, but it's clearly the older style so check before you buy as it doesn't look like you can buy the different fittings without buying another light.

Mrklaw

can you buy just the mount? I already have the light. Happy enough with it on the seat post, but if I can make it neater by mounting under the seat that'd be good

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hope Vision 1's work well with the fold. I have 2 on my Brompton.

Kell

Veteran
can you buy just the mount? I already have the light. Happy enough with it on the seat post, but if I can make it neater by mounting under the seat that'd be good

According to the stuff I've read online, no you can't. But then the little booklet I also got said that they did sell accessories and listed the bracket and the charging wire as those, so who knows... It would be daft if you couldn't. But then most lights you can't seem to buy the brackets separately - so even if you damage them you end up having to buy a whole new light.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
Shimano hub dynamo, or SON if you're feeling flush. Fit and forget.
New Dynamo will be introduced in new Brompton. Sutter Precision SP-8
Here is the description from brompton build page
Select lighting
SP Hub Dynamo, SS, E-Vers
Weight: 0.24 kg , Price: £ 120.00
The new single Shutter Precision SP-8 offers a superior performance, improved reliability, efficiency and a 271g weight saving over the previous Shimano dynamo. It has comparable efficiency to the previous SON dynamo, 91 g lighter and is less than half the cost. (Available on both Silver and Black componentry bikes).

They have even lighter one SV-9 also brompton compatible

39891774_2032427303699065_7307930018565324800_n.jpg P1310704.JPG

Kell

Veteran
My problem with the dynamo lights is twofold.

The first is that they do sap your power to make them work - IIRC 4% when they're running and 1% when they're off. It doesn't sound like much, but it is noticeable.

However, the biggest problem I have with them is the height of the lights. To me, it's way too far down to make you visible. It might be a great place to be for a light that lights up the road, but if you're following a car, I'd like to see how far back you have to be for them to be able to see your light.

I have Lezyne Femto front and rear, both mounted high up, in additional n to the dynamo lights, which should solve your concern?
I haven’t ridden during the dark yet, other than a very quick blast up the lane!

chriscross1966

Über Member
My problem with the dynamo lights is twofold.

The first is that they do sap your power to make them work - IIRC 4% when they're running and 1% when they're off. It doesn't sound like much, but it is noticeable.

However, the biggest problem I have with them is the height of the lights. To me, it's way too far down to make you visible. It might be a great place to be for a light that lights up the road, but if you're following a car, I'd like to see how far back you have to be for them to be able to see your light.
I run dynamo lights on my commuter Brompton and i cant say i notice the drag from the hubs, plus the B+M Luxos headlight i have is perfectly capable of floodlighting the road even from its position under a T bag.

Top Bottom