Best lock for bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Min

Hi all, this question has probably been beaten to death already, but I've just purchased an expensive cyclocross bike (on sale for £599, but worth £1000) and now looking for a lock that will protect it.

I live in Oxford, a city of bikes and unfortunately area of very high bike theft, and I want to keep my bicycle. From what I now I think the Kryptonite New York and Abus Granit Xplus 54 models seem to be the top most end D-locks. I'm not sure which to go for though. Any recommendations? Thanks!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you are going to leave a bike of that value locked up outside somewhere. Then I would purchase both.

e-rider

crappy member
if you leave such a bike locked in Oxford city centre (or any other city centre) it will get stolen sooner or later even if you buy both of those locks - you need a cheaper bike for leaving in public places

No lock exists that can last more than 30 seconds again pro theievs. Don't expect passers-by to step in either as they wont!

Mile195

Veteran
They say that you should spend at least 10% of the value of the bike on security.

I rarely leave my BMC out on busy london streets, but when I do I use a big oxford D-Lock designed for mopeds and scooters through the rear wheel and frame, and a cheapish cable lock through the front wheel.

If you look for one marked "sold secure" for motorcycles, they're guaranteed attack proof up to a certain level. They come rated as gold, silver or bronze. Mine is gold. RRP is about £60, but they sometimes do them on sale in Decathlon for about £40.

Mile195

Veteran
By the way, as mentioned above, a determined thief can get through any lock given enough time.

My lock maybe rated Sold-Secure gold, but that means it's attack proof for up to 5 minutes only. (and apparently bolt-cutter resistant up to 1000 tonnes I think).

If you HAVE to leave it on the street, spend as much as you can afford. But basically, "out of sight, out of mind" is the best form of security. If you can find some undercover parking (some multi-stories have a compound for bicycles), then all the better.

BSRU

A Human Being
My lock maybe rated Sold-Secure gold, but that means it's attack proof for up to 5 minutes only.
Don't believe the hype.
If you search youtube you can find some Sold-Secure gold d-locks being removed in seconds.
The original Sold-Secure gold Masterlock d-lock I bought can be removed in 37 seconds:eek: .

Mile195

Veteran
Don't believe the hype.
If you search youtube you can find some Sold-Secure gold d-locks being removed in seconds.
The original Sold-Secure gold Masterlock d-lock I bought can be removed in 37 seconds:eek: .
I can believe it. If a theif wants something badly enough, they'll get hold of it. I had a motorbike pinched a couple of years ago. Two incredibly fat chains through it, I woke up to the sound of the first being cut, and saw the second get cut. It took seconds, and off they went down the road on 4 mopeds, towing my bike with the 5th member of their gang on it.

Like I say, moral of the story is "out of sight, out of mind". My next bike did not get kept on the driveway...

tdm

Über Member
I was also looking into getting some locks for my bike in Oxford and I'm starting to think that perhaps it is wiser to buy an approved lock and just get my bikes insured?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I use Abus Granit Xplus and a 4 foot cable with large padlock
U-lock on frame and cable round both wheels ......so far so good

e-rider

crappy member
I can believe it. If a theif wants something badly enough, they'll get hold of it. I had a motorbike pinched a couple of years ago. Two incredibly fat chains through it, I woke up to the sound of the first being cut, and saw the second get cut. It took seconds, and off they went down the road on 4 mopeds, towing my bike with the 5th member of their gang on it.

Like I say, moral of the story is "out of sight, out of mind". My next bike did not get kept on the driveway...
sold secure is a joke - look at what 'tools' they use to attack locks in their tests - you'll see that it's not the tools the theives use!!! Sold secure uses things like hammers and screw drivers to attack locks - criminals use far more effective methods. Sold secure isn't worth a penny.

OP
OP
M

Min

I know no lock is theft-proof, any determined thief will get through any lock. So since you cant thief-proof it, you need to maximise security, hence I'm asking which lock (or even locks?) is best. I commute quite long distances everyday, also training with the rowers on bikes, and needed the speed and versatility of terrain so the cyclocross was really the best option for me but even entry levels cost at least around 800 - the 599 was the cheapest I could find as it was an older model.

But anyway back to topic - any lock recommendations? Im torn between the Kryp and the Abus - should I just get both?

Mile195

Veteran
I know no lock is theft-proof, any determined thief will get through any lock. So since you cant thief-proof it, you need to maximise security, hence I'm asking which lock (or even locks?) is best. I commute quite long distances everyday, also training with the rowers on bikes, and needed the speed and versatility of terrain so the cyclocross was really the best option for me but even entry levels cost at least around 800 - the 599 was the cheapest I could find as it was an older model.

But anyway back to topic - any lock recommendations? Im torn between the Kryp and the Abus - should I just get both?
If your budget stretches to it and you don't mind carrying it around. 2 locks is always going to be better than 1...

OP
OP
M

Min

If your budget stretches to it and you don't mind carrying it around. 2 locks is always going to be better than 1...

yeah, I prob will have to use two locks. but I read somewhere its best to use two different types of locks rather than the same so the thief will need different tools - would it be better to use 1 D-lock + chain or 2 D locks?

oh and anybody have any experience with bike insurance?

OP
OP
M

Min

The NY Fagh is better than the normal NY but it is also a mini lock so needs careful positioning. Bloody heavy.

Are the minis really good though? I know they're thick and strong but I doubt I'll be able to fit my frame + wheel in that.

Top Bottom