Best month to do LEJOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I did it in May & reckon I benefited from this...................

I would go for May.
It's nearer to mid-summer so longer daylight.
Further from peak tourist season so fewer car tourists on the road and less pressure on available accommodation.
Met office climate records indicate drier weather with more hours of sunshine in May with lower average maximum temperatures..........

from Snorri is pertinent.

I also did an east-of-Pennines route.
I turned right at Chesterfield which in retrospect was a mistake.I should have continued south past Lincoln before turning right for Uttoxeter:much less lumpy.

I too stopped off at home,originally intending it to be for one night but the death of a friend occurred while I was on the road & my wish to attend the funeral dictated that it was a week before I re-started.
Again in retrospect this was not a wise decision (ignoring the loss of my friend).It was very hard to ride away from home:very different from riding away from a B&B or whatever.

princemyheart

I'm planning to jump on a plane from Australia and do the LeJog in may 2013..... wild camping with an old foldie... Cheers Royce

Rushy548

If I were you I'd go for May as well. The last few years, May has seen the best of the sunshine in the UK, and the longer daylight hours are an added bonus. There's nothing worse than cycling in the gloom, think of all the scenery you're missing! August is usually rubbish weather wise.

http://www.lejogcycling.co.uk/

My lad cycled LEJOG in September, which in hindsight was a poor decision, but like you say, you can only go when time allows!

karl61

i'm planning lejog for next august, only real time possible for me, and as for the uk weather....hit and miss at any time

Roger Oliver

I'm planning a trip in the future - due to being an academic the only real months I can do it in are May and August.

Is there a best one of these? It'd be May 2013 rather than 2012 but August 2012 is a possibility.
My son and I are going to cycle lejog next May (last week to take three weeks) to miss bank holiday and to celebrate my 70th birthday, we are going to use B&Bs and YHA.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
October: I finished my LEJOG a week ago. Had reasonable weather - considering what it has been like this summer - but that's luck.

On the plus side Scotland's Autumnal colouring was lovely, no midges, not too many tourists (though I did catch Scottish half term on the A82 towards Ft William). It was quite cool by the time I got to the far north - 2C with showers and some wind and snow down to about 400m at dawn, so I needed lots of layers and it was getting dark by around 6pm. It was hotels/B&Bs for me.
I think another couple of weeks on would be the latest I would do it - the days would simply get too short and the risk of ice too high.

robgul

Legendary Member
Are June &/or July good, bad or indifferent for doing JoGLE?

June is pretty good - before the school hols and masses of tourists get on the roads ... (possibly) pre-midge in Scotland .. long hours of daylight, especially in the far north.

.... but then I'm biased having ridden both JOGLE & LEJOG in June (five years apart)

Rob

BruceF

Regular
@Scoosh---Thanks for the info sources. At this rate-- if I pull this trip off as/when I hope to, I should be forewarned and forearmed to a degree that'll enable me to peddle through the legendary clouds of those things without being eaten alive.

wintonbina

Über Member
@Scoosh---Thanks for the info sources. At this rate-- if I pull this trip off as/when I hope to, I should be forewarned and forearmed to a degree that'll enable me to peddle through the legendary clouds of those things without being eaten alive.
If you're lucky:cycle:!!!!

GoForIt

Definitely May over August, but anytime is better than never. I just did it in January - predictably cold but wonderful none the less.

Top Bottom