The Curse of Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I am thinking of taking a camping/touring trip to the Hebrides sometime next year but if possible I would like to avoid the attention of certain wee beasties looking for a free lunch :hungry: . What would be the best time to plan a trip.

October to April and not too late in April.

U

User6179

Did West Highland Way in first week of may one year and never had a single bite , guy I know has a caravan near Fort William and swears by Avon product Skin So Soft ( think thats the name) for repelling the little gits.:thumbsup:

Avon's Skin so Soft (Forest Fragrance) is listed by "Snopes" as a myth!

However it works for the Royal Marines, and has always worked for me.

However whilst it does get rid of midges, it may attract the wrong attention in a Glaswegian pub!

DRHysted

Guru
October to April and not too late in April.

I agree with that time scale, although the little bleeders seem to be appearing earlier every year (we'll be up last week of March 1st week of April next year).
Tried the Avon stuff last year, both the mosturiser and shower gel. Didn't work for me!

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Avon's Skin so Soft (Forest Fragrance) is listed by "Snopes" as a myth!

However it works for the Royal Marines, and has always worked for me.

However whilst it does get rid of midges, it may attract the wrong attention in a Glaswegian pub!

HMM, so that's Glaswegian pubs crossed off my list of things to do:shy:

stumpy66

Veteran
Never had a big problem with them on the outer hebs, wind usually keeps them away :smile:, it does depend on the weather, if its its wet or humid with little wind they are a nightmare. While on jura after a wet day we had to keep walking while trying to eat our pasta as we were getting eaten alive, there was literally a thick black cloud of them outside my tent in the morning so it was a matter of packing everything while in the tent before venturing outside. Ive never found a repellant that works, get a midge net/hat and expose as little skin as poss to them, the only place they got me was the the small bit of skin exposed where the velcro tab on my gloves was. Enjoy the Hebs

In the outer hebrides they are really not as much as a problem, as mentioned above. the wind does generally keep them away. Sand flies and clegs are a totally different matter and your only option is to stay covered completely.

The avon so soft thing is a myth - the formula has been changed since 'those days'.

We generally find not being around at the key times of day (dawn & dusk) to be the best way of avoiding them, and for scandinavia at least, I have found eating 1 slice of bread/toast spread with marmite to help much more than anything else. (I'm from scotland before anyone tries telling me they are different,.) It does not stop them pestering you, but it does seem to stop them actually biting you - they land and promptly take off again. Apparently they don't like the taste of it either, once it has permeated into your skin... We seriously did find that others were being pestered far far more than us when in the swamp forests of finland or the tundra in northern norway.

carrying on from that, the only fool proof method of ensuring you can go to scotland and not be bitten is to make sure you have someone else with you who gets bitten even more than you! Else accept it and make good use of the local anaesthetic (aka whisky) to ensure you don't notice you are being bitten. camp fire smoke (only on beaches though) is also a good deterent, though there is generally a major lack of wood to burn given there are few trees.

enjoy the trip. It is one of my favourite places.

img_8749_8750_1_800.jpg

Camped at Bhaltos (or Valtos) on the Isle of Lewis (the vango force 10 is ours). White sand, blue skies, blue sea - Outer Hebridies.

Alun

Guru
The avon so soft thing is a myth - the formula has been changed since 'those days'.
Always worked for me, why do you say the formula has changed?

Back to the DEET then :sad:
marmite. healthier than DEET... my husband does not like it, but a thin layer on a cheese sandwich at lunch each day got enough of it into him that neither he nor I were bitten in the 4 months we spent in Scandinavia last year (12-May to 18 September) and yes a single, small jar did last that long! We can count on one hand the number of bites we each had during the entire time. Mind you a midge population failure did help us out a long way. The midge repellent clothing does also work really well.

stumpy66

Veteran
View attachment 14678

Camped at Bhaltos (or Valtos) on the Isle of Lewis (the vango force 10 is ours). White sand, blue skies, blue sea - Outer Hebridies.[/quote]
Ahhhh, i so wish it was that time of year again to make that trip again. Lovely pic satnavss

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Did West Highland Way in first week of may one year and never had a single bite , guy I know has a caravan near Fort William and swears by Avon product Skin So Soft ( think thats the name) for repelling the little gits.:thumbsup:

I am reading a book at the moment and the author states that Skin So Soft does work as long as you put enough on so the little critters slide off.

Which marine said Skin So Soft works, Jimmy Saville. He was made am honourary marine by the boys in green.

Where do you get marmite in Scandanavia.?

Steve

Top Bottom