The Curse of Scotland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Taking all your replies into consideration, I think I will give the 'Marmite' a try before I go, (just in case I meet a Glaswegian docker along the way). I notice that nobody has suggested a commercial insect repellent, are there any thoughts along those lines?

Taking all your replies into consideration, I think I will give the 'Marmite' a try before I go, (just in case I meet a Glaswegian docker along the way). I notice that nobody has suggested a commercial insect repellent, are there any thoughts along those lines?

generally that is best bought locally after speaking wiht the locals. Some stuff works better in some areas than in others, and start the marmite treatment a week before you leave - it has to 'get into your system' so to speak!

stephenjubb

Über Member
I tried brewers yeast (I think the pill form of marmite to an extent) in scotland this along with garlic capsules. This was my fourth tour in five years and previously never had much bother.

This year I was harassed by so by insects (flies, horse flies, midges and all others) over the first 2 months of a 3.5 month tour I was astounded. Drove me nuts. Ended up throwing the brewers yeast and garlic. After that it seemed to improve a little.

As a result I did less wild camping than I hoped for.

Might have to try the proper marmite next time.

For some of us, getting bitten would be a lesser evil than eating marmite. ;)

Here's a list of natural repellants, it's interesting to note that the mozzies are reported to hate vitamin B1, of which there is plenty in marmite.

after 1 seriously bad night in a swedish forest in the rain, bivvying, my OH was more than happy to try anything with the finnish swamp forests ahead of him in autumn, so he did manage to eat a single sandwich of it spread thinnly each day - a slice of cheese helps considerably. It was a scandinavian friend of our who told us about the B vits thing verse mossies and she mentioned marmite. great thing about it is a little goes a very long way!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
The guide I posted before lists Lemon Eucalyptus as a good deterrent. I do actually have some of this, although I've never tried using it as a mozzie repellant. I can confirm that it has a very pleasant scent. A well stocked aromatherapy shop will have some, ask for Eucalyptus Citrodora.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The guide I posted before lists Lemon Eucalyptus as a good deterrent. I do actually have some of this, although I've never tried using it as a mozzie repellant. I can confirm that it has a very pleasant scent. A well stocked aromatherapy shop will have some, ask for Eucalyptus Citrodora.

I have just read your list and I am onto your little game.

If I smeared a mixture of that lot over my body I would be getting jumped by a Scotsman in a kilt....and I don`t mean mugged ^_^

Steve

ianjmcd

Über Member
yeah man smear yourself in marmite and it wont only be the mozzies that stay away from you :-)

Alberto

I went to the Inner Hebrides this past September, and when there was no wind there were midges. Sometimes lots, especially in Skye. I simply covered every bit of skin with clothes and when that was not possible, used the avon stuff which I had purchased recently. I have to say it does work, at least for me, yet it does not repel the little buggers, but kills them once they land on you. They get stuck and die pretty quickly on your skin. I rather not use DEET if I can avoid it. Also, the head net helps if you have to stand outside of your tent.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Skin so Soft hasn't been changed, it's the same green fougere perfume in the same mineral oil base. Avon would like to change it but it sells too well. I work for a perfume company and am also fairly experienced in dealing with the Caledonian Luftwaffe and I think it does work, probably by confusing their sense of smell or ability to detect exhaled CO2. It's certainly nothign to do with citronella.

DEET works well but is excreted in your urine for 24 hours after you've applied it.

Mosquito coils burned around the tent work very well indeed. Midges hate them and the pyrethrum actually kills them. If you burn them in the tent they do give you dodgy lungs though.

MidgeForecast

I am thinking of taking a camping/touring trip to the Hebrides sometime next year but if possible I would like to avoid the attention of certain wee beasties looking for a free lunch :hungry: . What would be the best time to plan a trip.

Midges will start to appear from April but normally it wont be until June that you would see nuisance numbers of them. Normally they would be around until September in varying population sizes depending on the weather conditions.

This year the Hebridies and NW Scotland fared well with a very dry spell whilst the rest of the UK got all the rain and this lead to virtually no midges during late June, July and into August. There was also very few midges in September this year across the whole of Scotland.

As for predicting next year - it is far too hard to tell but we provide information at midgeforecast.co.uk

Unfortunately Skin so soft never worked for us, the best thing we found that worked well in keeping the little blighters away was Smidge.

Glad you found it also worked for you, and thanks for recommending it!

Teuchter

Über Member
Skin so soft never worked for me though my wife swears by it and claims you have to put it on every day a week in advance for it to work. I don't want people to think I'm a marine so have never tried this.

My usual approach is to either keep totally covered or MTFU and take the pain. After one night camping near Arrochar employing the second of these approaches, I looked like I had the pox so maybe I shouldn't recommend that one! Midge headnets are great - I've slept in an open hammock on midge infested Loch Lomond islands without problems while wearing one.

stephenjubb

Über Member
Midges will start to appear from April but normally it wont be until June that you would see nuisance numbers of them. Normally they would be around until September in varying population sizes depending on the weather conditions.

This year the Hebridies and NW Scotland fared well with a very dry spell whilst the rest of the UK got all the rain and this lead to virtually no midges during late June, July and into August. There was also very few midges in September this year across the whole of Scotland.

As for predicting next year - it is far too hard to tell but we provide information at midgeforecast.co.uk

Glad you found it also worked for you, and thanks for recommending it!

Where were you in Scotland this year?

I was there in July-Oct around Inverness and Altnaharra in August and they had never been so bad. They sounded like torrential rain there was that many.

Also had them on the north coast at Tonque.

The only point I agree on is that they declined in September.

Top Bottom