best O ring material for holding lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The O ring holding my rear light to the seatpost has just failed - in the house fortunately. Looking on line for a replacement I see they come in various materials. Which is best for this job, or does it matter? I assume they are not really designed for this purpose anyway.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I shouldn't worry unduly. I guess a fairly stretchy material is best, but as you say, they are really for sealing gases or fluids at pressure not meant as rubber bands. The material is often chosen on the basis of the chemicals they are being used with, so hardly relevant here

The most common O-ring material is nitrile but unfortunately it is not the best material for a stretch application. It performs poorly when stretched as opposed to compressed. You'll see that it quickly cracks (perishes) and breaks. I would try any other type, like Viton, if you have a choice. I haven't yet figured out which type performs best, perhaps someone can enlighten us. But I do know that nitrile is rubbish in that application.
If you are confronted with a range of hardness, go for something between 60 and 70 Shore. 90 will be way too hard and stiff.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have a definitive answer. :angel:

I knew I had seen this somewhere so after 5 minutes searching for the box my recently purchased Garmin came in I have this>

upload_2016-10-6_13-33-51.png

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Thanks everyone - very helpful. Just ordered a couple of EPDM o-rings from Sealforce on e-bay. No, I couldn't use a zip tie, and an o-ring is much neater anyway.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was looking around for some of the bands for a Cateye Nima rear light. They're priced at £1.50 for two (different sizes). The instruction leaflet doesn't say what the bands are made of just that they supply 22mm & 32mm in the box.
If I buy some new ones they'll probably snap as well!

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Try and say that when you're drunk...ethylene alcohol monopolywhasshisname.

I wonder if that stuff has a commercial name like....rubber or something. I also wonder why anything else would harm the fragile little Garmin.
- maybe the idea is that these o-rings don't break so readily, so avoiding damage from unintended road contact?

Top Bottom