Best pre-cycle foods?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefollen

Veteran
Big fan of a good ol' peanut butter sandwich, nice and thickly spread- good for longer rides or a hefty run (3-hours beforehand). For the morning commute (7 miles) I usually have nothing since I'll eat brekkie at work, knock back a Berocca most mornings, but that's not fuel per se.

Must say, one time I was out on the Saturday night for a mate's Birthday. Had a load of beers, curry, 2 rounds Irish coffee, fell asleep on my mate's sofa, woke up, realised I was due for a cycle with a mate round Richmond Park in an hour, train to Balham, cycle shorts on and blitzed it to the park. All in all I did 40miles that day and the legs loved it. As for the hangover...

hero of valour

this morning for breakfast i had a bowl of weetabix with sugar, followed by a banana, 150g bag of walkers sensations, 100g cadburys chocolate, flapjack, grapes and 3 slices of toast with nutella on. i then cycled 3 miles and ate an apple and 3 cookies followed by 3 more miles. I'm knackered and my stomach feels sooooo bloated! lolzers!!!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
this morning for breakfast i had a bowl of weetabix with sugar, followed by a banana, 150g bag of walkers sensations, 100g cadburys chocolate, flapjack, grapes and 3 slices of toast with nutella on. i then cycled 3 miles and ate an apple and 3 cookies followed by 3 more miles. I'm knackered and my stomach feels sooooo bloated! lolzers!!!

Hmm, I wonder why :rolleyes:

jjc89

Über Member
couple of hours before a long ride porridge is sovereign, but if I need some energy before a short ride/sprint then a small amount of carbs/fats I can find can be extremely effective. For example - oatcakes and cheese, ryvita and hummus, peanut butter sandwich.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Alternative to porridge is just to mix the same oats with yoghurt. Let it soften for half an hour, or just make it the night before. Add a grated apple if you like, or a teaspoon of sugar or jam for taste. You can even make enough for several days, it keeps well in fridge.

It's basically bircher muesli, though that's traditionally made with cream, I think.

I personally enjoy this much more than cooked porridge, which has a glue-like quality to my taste.

I am going to try this!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... somewhere between my lugoles.

RAYMOND

Another way to eat porridge is in a flapjack, i bake my own
porridge,hazelnuts,3 types of seeds,flour,butter,golden syrup,rum soaked raisins,
covered with chocolate.. tasts good, mostly good for you,easy to eat and put in the back pocket of your jersey.

2 slices of toast and a cuppa!! :smile:

karl61

porrage does it for me....also on a long ride, some of the supermarket cereal bars are good quality,25g carbs 5g protein,lo fat....perfect.

postman

Legendary Member
Porridge with honey
Toast with honey
Banana
Through the ride Malt loaf,banana x 2.
3 Twix bars.
Latte.
Water one bottle.
This is a fair feast no wonder i don't loose weight.

Top Bottom