Best pre-cycle foods?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've gotten into the habit of making a smoothly for breakfast/before rides, consisting of:
- 1x Apple
- 1x Banana
- 1x kiwi
- 6-10x Strawberries
- 250ml fresh orange juice
- 1tsp Manuka honey
- 1tsp Matcha tea

While this tastes great and does give me energy I can't help feeling its not the most ideal option...

I had to see a nutrionalist sometime ago and ended up with smoothies, but the recipe was different. Missing from yours appears to be oats and nuts. (I'm veggie allergic to all dairy, so think vegan with honey and eggs BTW).
you will need a coffee grinder, but the recipe I used was basically

soya yoghurt,
ground porridge oats,
ground nuts and seeds (various),
fruit to taste,
sugar/honey to taste.

Worked really well and the oats and nuts gave the energy I needed. On the 12 month tour I have just done, we lived off porridge with added fruit/nuts for breakfast, pretty much the entire time.

U

User482

I like a pint of Fuller's Discovery.

I really like home made bread cut into thick slices with generous portion of crunchy peanut butter and jam. Yes that is together. Hmmmmnnnn delish!

Winter - porridge with sultanas and grated apple topped with honey.

I then wait 1.5-2hours to digest. I get the best effect from eating then.

If I go out in the evening after work I dont bother with eating anything before I go. I've had lunch though. Even if I go for 1.5 - 2 hours of hard riding. I only seem to think about pre-cycle foods in the morning and on a weekend for a long ride. Maybe thats not good??

I guess I should know a bit more about nutrition, but I dont - and found this thread as I was considering posting my own so sorry if this appears a hijack ...........
I went and got some oh so simple (gosh there's a lot of varieties) and the 'basic' version lists the following for each sachet:

calories = 98
sugars = minimal
fat = v.low
salt = minimal

How is this a good pre-ride fill up? :scratch:
Dont wish to sound dumb, but the evidence is heavily in favour that I might be.

ps - Soreen malt loaf is very very cheap at Costco if you know anyone that shops there.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I guess I should know a bit more about nutrition, but I dont - and found this thread as I was considering posting my own so sorry if this appears a hijack ...........
I went and got some oh so simple (gosh there's a lot of varieties) and the 'basic' version lists the following for each sachet:

calories = 98
sugars = minimal
fat = v.low
salt = minimal

How is this a good pre-ride fill up? :scratch:
Dont wish to sound dumb, but the evidence is heavily in favour that I might be.

ps - Soreen malt loaf is very very cheap at Costco if you know anyone that shops there.
You might as well eat soil or shoelaces, where are the carbs?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Make it up with milk... add a banana, add some dried fruit. This will be about 400cals, with a cuppa or some OJ. Perfect amount before a ride, imho (not too much but enough to get you to the cake/ lunch stop).

You might as well eat soil or shoelaces, where are the carbs?

I think (I think) thats my point. Porridge gets good press here, but looking at it's nutritional value's, I can't see why?
....and I thought bannana's were only good for a fairly quick burst of energy (and a dose of potassium).

I'll do a forum search for more info, and ask in a new thread for further info if needed. I've got a bowl of the gloopy stuff infront of me now instead of my usual shredded wheat, so i'm giving it a try.
Neil.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think (I think) thats my point. Porridge gets good press here, but looking at it's nutritional value's, I can't see why?
....and I thought bannana's were only good for a fairly quick burst of energy (and a dose of potassium).

I'll do a forum search for more info, and ask in a new thread for further info if needed. I've got a bowl of the gloopy stuff infront of me now instead of my usual shredded wheat, so i'm giving it a try.
Neil.

You are either eating some sort of wierd pussy porridge or you are not reading the packet properly.

50g of porridge oats made up with water contains approx 5g protein and 30g carbohydrates. The carbs consist of low GI carbs, i.e. not from sugars, not a carb that gives a quick blood sugar spike giving you an energy rush that quickly fades leaving you with a dip in blood sugar and the corresponding feeling of lack of energy. Low GI carbs are "slow release" giving you a sustained energy source.

Made up with milk the calorific content and carb content will be increased. As will the fat content with certain types of milk.

You are either eating some sort of wierd pussy porridge or you are not reading the packet properly.

:wahhey: Sir, you are a genious - I can see me writing the next big novel ''50 shades of grey porridge''.

50g of porridge oats made up with water contains approx 5g protein and 30g carbohydrates. The carbs consist of low GI carbs, i.e. not from sugars, not a carb that gives a quick blood sugar spike giving you an energy rush that quickly fades leaving you with a dip in blood sugar and the corresponding feeling of lack of energy. Low GI carbs are "slow release" giving you a sustained energy source.

Made up with milk the calorific content and carb content will be increased. As will the fat content with certain types of milk.

Thanks Rob, this is the stuff I need to learn. The nutritional quotation was from a 27g serving packet of 'oat-so-simple'. As I say, i'll do a search when I get a bit more time.

ps, I hereby copyright the name of the new best seller listed above. Neil Edwards

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
:wahhey: Sir, you are a genious - I can see me writing the next big novel ''50 shades of grey porridge''.

Thanks Rob, this is the stuff I need to learn. The nutritional quotation was from a 27g serving packet of 'oat-so-simple'. As I say, i'll do a search when I get a bit more time.

ps, I hereby copyright the name of the new best seller listed above. Neil Edwards

See link for nutritional info: http://www.quaker.co.uk/products/oat-so-simple-original

TBH, you would be best buying a big bag of porridge oats from your local supermarket, its like 50-80p for 1kg bag. That's 20x50g servings for less than a pound.

Top Bottom