Best Pre, during and post ride diet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm going to be cycling the stage 2 TdF route in May, nowhere near as fast as the pros obvs, but at 120 odd miles this is going to be quite a challenge for me with all those climbs. I'm 10stone and eat well, all home cooked food made from scratch, I eat fish but not meat. Would appreciate any advice from anyone who knows a bit about diet and fitness on the best foods to eat in the days leading up to the ride, the best things to breakfast and snack on on ride day, and the best post-ride meals to support my body/sagging carcass come the end!

Thanks,
Andy

You have to go with what works for you. What do you eat before, during and after a long ride at the moment? There is no formula but your own. Try and replicate the course as close as you can at least once in your training.

I did the Etape in 2012 in the Pyrenees and trained like there was no tomorrow and didn't do anything on the day that I didn't do on a training ride if that makes sense. I ate well in the days leading up, kept alcohol to a minimum and water to a maximum. (I started running about 18 months ago and hydrating seriously the day before a long run is of massive benefit).

Experiment with gels/bars etc and see what works for you. I find bars quite tough to digest on the go and prefer gels but that's me. See what works for you and don't try anything new on the day if you can avoid it. Don't be put off either by those who extol the virtues of real food over energy gels etc When I look back to 2012, I know I did the right thing taking gels with me whilst ascending mountains as opposed taking a cooked Halibut, spinach, bowl of pasta etc for reasons that should be obvious.

It sounds as if you are a pescetarian, in which case experiment with different fish for recovery meals now during training and find what works best. I had the honour recently of buying Elivar - a sports nutrition recovery product for the over 35s which has proven to be excellent though whilst I exercise 5-6 days a week, I'd only use this stuff after a particularly tough workout.

Trust yourself to find out and know what works for you...

But these products are awesome if you fancy trying them... (in my opinion). Particularly the Blackcurrant Caffeine gels and the glutamine electrolyte drink.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http://www.zipvit.co.uk/&ei=T9EMVcGCJ9bYapX4guAH&usg=AFQjCNHDA7dfG8Ku8nl5pY_hJp38SGLxGQ

All the best mate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
What do you eat before, during and after a long ride at the moment?
I don't get the time to do any long rides just now..50 miles is my longest so far this year, and I just treat that like a normal day - porridge and toast for brekkie, sandwich and a choccy bar on route, fish or pasta or whatever Mrs Peez has lovingly prepared when I get in.

hydrating seriously the day before
Cheers - I drink a fair amount of water generally but extra hydration in the preceding days was not on my radar, so thanks for the tip.

But these products are awesome if you fancy trying them... (in my opinion). Particularly the Blackcurrant Caffeine gels and the glutamine electrolyte drink.
I have to avoid caffeine due to a rather severe intolerance unfortunately. Not a big fan of sweet, sugary things either so I'm not sure how I'll get on with the gels. Maybe drink supplements for my bottle and energy bars might be worth a try. In general do I need to be looking for high-carb for energy during the ride and protein for post-ride recovery food?

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Flapjack, jelly babies (check the ingredients if don't eat meat products), soreen malt loaf. Are you going to have stops on this ride, i.e. lunch / cake breaks

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Flapjack, jelly babies (check the ingredients if don't eat meat products), soreen malt loaf. Are you going to have stops on this ride, i.e. lunch / cake breaks
Lunchbreak definately - not sure about other breaks. We're planning to but we might not have time if we don't keep to the required pace!
Malt loaf sounds like a great suggestion :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
A decent lunch should be fine then, sarnie, beans on toast. In my experience, when doing long rides, don't stop too long. My legs seize up. No more than half an hour for lunch if possible, and then a few other 10-15 minute stops

Fig rolls another popular option if you like them

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Good advice re diet already so I won't add to that. I know the final 1/3 of your ride very well. It is unremitting up and down and although I ride the Peak District all the time I'd have to plan the ride very carefully to make sure I made it. Take the first 2/3 as easy as you can get away with, just spin it up the hills, you won't regret it. The temptation will be to go too hard early on but with Holme Moss, Strines, Bradfield, Jawbone etc to do you need to leave a lot in the tank

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Fig rolls another popular option if you like them
I loves 'em! Pleased to see some of my fave portable snacks seemingly tick the required nutri-boxes without me even realising it. This is going to be a doddle (the food-shopping bit at least, maybe not the ride!)

@nickyboy - thanks for giving me the benefit of your experience. I am oft guilty of trying to blast through 2/3 of my ride in the first half of my day to give myself an easy afternoon and maximise the chances of ale-stops. Better reign that impulse in this time!

Top Bottom