Best pump to carry on bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrbez

Hi Guys,

Can you make some recommendations for a pump to carry on the bike?

I've looked at the Co2 pumps, but then I read that most people prefer to use a good mini pump which would be able to get to 110 psi easily?

Thanks.

I prefer a mini pump to CO2, which primarily costs but seem a bit one shot for the odd time I need it and its just another thing to carry. My mini pump certainly wouldn't get to 110psi (despite being rated to 160psi :ohmy:) but its the correct size for me relative to p'ture events and it delivers enough to get me home without any more pinch p'tures. Its a Topeak Micro pocket blaster (or something sounding similar). I think the topeak road morph is usually recommended for pumping power to size ratio.

I use both. I actually have two pumps, but you can get combi pumps that do both. I need Co2 as I'm a big guy, and a hand pump, or at least my hand pump will never get to 100 - 120 psi. In the event of a p******e I use the handpump to semi inflate, then I blast it with Co2, works for me :thumbsup:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I like Lezyne's mini pump with pressure gauge. I prefer it to gas because I find gas fiddly sometimes and harder to judge pressure.
It seems pretty straightforward to get over 110 psi.

That looks good, and I recall it getting a good write up recently.
It's hard to tell how big it is from the picture. Presumably it has a bracket for mounting to the bike, but could it slip into a pocket?

BigTam

Über Member
I have the Lezyne micro floor pump with gauge, the only downside imho is the bracket, the pump scratched the frame on my bike when in the bracket, so now slide it into back pocket, it is larger than most micros, but will easily do 110/120 psi.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lexyne and Topeak Road Morph are highly recommended. Only ever used a friends MTB Morph, and it performed really well.

I use a Blackburn Airstick Carbon and shove it in my pocket.

thom

____
That looks good, and I recall it getting a good write up recently.
It's hard to tell how big it is from the picture. Presumably it has a bracket for mounting to the bike, but could it slip into a pocket?
It's 30 cm long, weighs 194 g and has a frame pump mount.
I think there are 3 Lezyne variants that I can't really tell the difference between online.
The mount I have attaches underneath the bottle cage on my down tube. The only issue I have is sometimes I strike the pump with my heel if the pump isn't positioned quite perfectly. As Big Tam says, easily put in a back pocket.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I would go for this one: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_700299_langId_-1_categoryId_165661
I use it on all of my bikes and it is quite versatile. I have had mine for a very long time (about 2/3 years) and the only signs of age are that the plastic head and handle have discoloured with dirt. And the metal tube inside is showing signs of rust from water getting inside it.

Do not go for this: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_732185_langId_-1_categoryId_165661
It was my first pump and it is useless. It is thin, too long, and very poor quality. Plus you have to screw on the valve, which means when you unscrew it, it lets all the air out of the tire.

Hope this helps.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Have to agree with MissTillyFlop – I'm very happy with the Topeak Road Morph, and can get properly pressurised at the road-side without my biceps exploding or my arms falling off... :whistle:

It's been thoughtfully designed too with flip out stabilising leg (which lets you use it more like a track pump) and a flexible connector with inline pressure gauge :thumbsup:

Top Bottom