Best pump to carry on bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't afford a Lezyne pump :sad:, but I've looked at the Topeak Road Morph, and I'm going to try and tap Mrs S for one. I'd rather use a pump than Co2 but didn't actually know they did 'hand' pumps that could reach the required pressure :thumbsup:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Hi Guys,

Can you make some recommendations for a pump to carry on the bike?

I've looked at the Co2 pumps, but then I read that most people prefer to use a good mini pump which would be able to get to 110 psi easily?

Thanks.
If you are going to carry the pump on the bike, you might as well get a full-sized one: the point of a mini-pump is that it will fit in the pocket of your jersey.

No mini-pump will reach 110 psi "easily": even the ones which can actually get that much pressure in a tube (as opposed to the ones that claim to) will take something like thirty more strokes than a full-sized one and as you get close to 100 psi they will all require some effort.

Incidentally, the gauges found on pumps aren't terribly accurate as they measure the pressure between the valve and the pump, rather than what is in the tube; if it's important to you, then you need an independent gauge that attaches directly to the valve.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
If you are going to carry the pump on the bike, you might as well get a full-sized one: the point of a mini-pump is that it will fit in the pocket of your jersey.

No mini-pump will reach 110 psi "easily": even the ones which can actually get that much pressure in a tube (as opposed to the ones that claim to) will take something like thirty more strokes than a full-sized one and as you get close to 100 psi they will all require some effort.

Incidentally, the gauges found on pumps aren't terribly accurate as they measure the pressure between the valve and the pump, rather than what is in the tube; if it's important to you, then you need an independent gauge that attaches directly to the valve.

Agreed. I use a frame pump, tucks under the top tube, you'd hardly know it was there, inflates really quite hard with the minimum of strokes.
I tested two different mini pumps...can't see the point of having one if you're going to fit it to the bike. Circa 250 strokes required to inflate the tyre, whichever one i used (a SKS one and a Topeak one)
Circa 30 strokes with a 'proper' pump.
If its a jersey pocket job, fair enough, but i quickly came to the conclusion theres no point standing at the side oif the road pumping 250 times when you only need to pump 30 times

Guages ? never saw the point either. Ive used my thumb for 40 plus years, inflated hard is inflated hard, a few PSI for the average cyclist isnt going to make any noticeable difference.

Shrimp_Stu

Topeak Race Rocket Master Blaster Mini Pump for me as this fits easily into saddle bag (or pocket) and accommodates both Schrader and Presta valves, used to use CO2 pump but relies on refills....Topeak all the way. Quality Product from a recognised name.

RMurphy195

Looks like it's half the length of my Topeak Road Morph, which I find hard work to get to 7 bar (100psi) so the shorter one might be harder work. Find one in a shop and see if they will let you try it.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have a Topeak mini pump thats always in the back of my bag when im out on the bike. I tried to use it to partially inflate a tyre once and I think its totally f**king useless but its there so i might as well carry it.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Topeak Race Rocket .. fits Shraeder or Presta valves using flexible hose. Also small and light and not too expensive.

Gez73

Veteran
The Lezyne HPG floor pump. Claimed 160psi max and very easy to use on the road. Just bought a second bracket for the hybrid. There are several versions, the MBT one gets to 90psi, you need to get the one best suited to your needs. Comes without a gauge too. Gez
1454608530629-1210719315.jpg

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I got one of these this week. I've been using CO2 for a while now so the pump is a backup option.

Today I put the pump to the test and I was impressed how good it's for its size but I imagine that it would take a lot of pumping with a MTB tyre. Not sure whether I should get the Morphis instead, they look too big for a backup pump I think.

Top Bottom