Best REAL food to take on rides???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Take something you enjoy eating in the pockets, stop off somewhere for some food on route.

Personally i'd take jerky, pork pies, pepperami , flapjack and water all of which I'd eat anyway

And where do you keep all this??? (keep the answer clean please^_^)

Holdsworth

Über Member
It's been many, many months since I went out for a leisurely weekend ride on the roadie, I haven't done a ride over 25 miles since January! It has been so long that I have forgotten what on earth I used to consume on a normal ride, all I remember is bonking a lot through lack of energy no matter how much I scoffed at food stops. An 85 miler to the Horseshoe Pass and back was a particularly disappointing run when I ran out of energy at Overton with 30-odd miles still to do and taking nigh on 8 hours to ride the route!

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I always take nougat (the nutty type is best). It doesn't melt, it's well packaged, it gives loads of energy and has a very long sell-by date (which is useful for me as I rarely need to snack). As to when you need to eat - that really does depend on you. You should (IMO) avoid snacking as much as possible - but when you feel your energy is getting low do something about it straight away - even if you've only been cycling for an hour. The bonk isn't pleasant and it isn't healthy either.

david k

Hi
On my MTB.Off road. Age 65
The longest ride to date is 30 and I am building up to a 50. I'm looking for advice to help enjoyment/performance. I am not racing and will make time to stop to eat when necessary.
What I eat/drink is.........
  • Before setting out I have an ISO energy drink.
  • Water.....take with me
  • Malt loaf........ take with me
  • Some jelly type sweets
  • A cereal bar.
I have tried taking a banana but find it got badly bruised/squashed (maybe the heat?)

I have seen the "fig biscuit" thread but noted the ah er 'toilet' warnings:rolleyes:

Any advice appreciated...particularly stuff that can fit in back pockets.
Thanks
i like marmalade or jam butties

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Babybels. Tried them part-way through a ride in France (I'd nicked them from breakfast) and they cope well with rattling around in a saddlebag. I'd want to eat them the same day though...
Malt loaf, bread pudding, flapjack are all good.
I tend to organise my rides around cafes and pubs though.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I take the following:

- mini malt loaf (like these :thumbsup: )
- small box of raisins
- emergency Jelly Babies

However, I don't always use them. On Thursday's 120ml ride I used the lot, whereas on today's 50 miler I didn't use any. But then I did have a coffee stop ... with apple pie ... and custard ^_^

Top Bottom