best rear cassette and chain for 10 spd roadie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
would like to know what people prefer in terms of this. i have ultegra rear cassette and chain and am looking to replace soon. any suggestions interms of alternatives..am looking at performance and longevity as key

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Vfm 105 cassette imho, ultegra chains aren't too bad, but I was tempted recently by the Btwin lightweight chain that looks like a kmc x10sl clone for £13, local Decathlon was out of stock though :angry:

vickster

Legendary Member
So far, I've not managed to wear out SRAM cassettes and chains in several thousand miles of riding

I don't think chain and cassette have a huge effect on performance, longevity influenced by riding conditions and style to some extent

gbb

Legendary Member
Performance will only be affected by selecting the right...or wrong ratios. Weight, make etc will have virtually no bearing on your performance.

I use a mixture of Shimano / SRAM bits, on my 10 speed bikes. I prefer SRAM cassettes, they are usually 2 piece units, a main body, all bolted together, with a loose smallest sprocket, and a lockring. It's a bit less of a 'faffy' affair to work with. I prefer Shimano chains, as they tend to be supplied with an actual chain pin, and not a quick link, to join it up.

Having had one, I can't think of a bigger pain in the backside than those things. Still, each to his own.

Wipperman is my chain of choice, easiest quick link to do up and undo.

On my hybrids, I use Clarkes chains, they have a quick link to join it together, and the link is a different shape to the rest of the chain. This is a great idea, because I've only ever snapped chains, riding on the rougher stuff I encounter on rides on my hybrids. The different shaped quick link, makes it easier to locate in poor light conditions, or when the chain is mucky. It's a simple, but clever solution.

@Racing roadkill When you've snapped your chain, why did you want to locate the quick link on your Clarks chain?
So as that I know the position of the Q.L. and can try and make sure not to put the replacement Q.L. ( if the chain has given out ) too close to the existing one ( if possible ). If the break is too close to the existing Q.L. I can get rid of the broken link, remove the Q.L. and refit the Q.L. in place of the broken link. When I get home, I can move links / pins around as and when, and it makes it easier to do.

Top Bottom