Best Road tyres for MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dibs

Veteran
I'm looking to get some road (Hybrid) tyres for my new bike, anyone recommend a good set?

Seen the Maxxis Xenith - looked real smart in the bike shop, also seen the Schwalbe Marathon...

Any experience with these?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Marathons are very tough tyres ! City jets also get mentioned.

If you want really fast slicks, then Hutchinson Top slick 2's are great - only 1.2 profile, your bike looks stupid, but they are darn quick. PS they aren't the most puncture proof though.

First two are the highest recommended ones.

Schwalbe City Jet gets a lot of mentions here...

I have some of these, good whilst on - but the worst tyre I have ever had to get on and off a rim :/

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I recently fitted Marathon+'s on my significant others MB. It's so much faster and easier to pedal now. I've also done over 5,000 puncture free miles on my hybrid, so I can't recommend them enough. I've just ordered some 25mm M+'s to try on the road bike, but due to the extra weight, I may just try one on the back for now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nooo, don't put Marathons on a road bike, you'll kill it.. Tyres are key to road bike performance. Heavy tyres affect acceleration and road feel massively. Keep road tyres sub 230g.... at this you have Bonti hardcase (cheap - not too grippy, but bomb proof) or Lithion 2's - then the price goes up.....

Goto10

I use 700c x 28 Gatorskins on my hybrid, used with slime inntertubes they seem pretty robust and much faster than the ones that came with it.
I use Schwalbe Marathons on my Brompton, they're heavy but also indestructible, I probably wouldn't use them on a hybrid though.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Nooo, don't put Marathons on a road bike, you'll kill it.. Tyres are key to road bike performance. Heavy tyres affect acceleration and road feel massively. Keep road tyres sub 230g.... at this you have Bonti hardcase (cheap - not too grippy, but bomb proof) or Lithion 2's - then the price goes up.....

I've ordered 2 M+ 25mms for the Dawes (currently has 35mm M+'s on) so when they arrive I was going to first try a 25mm M+ on the road bike rear. I only use the road bike for commuting on, and it's already fitted with panniers etc, so I was hoping the extra bit of weight from the tyre wouldn't make too much difference. I really really don't like punctures, and the M+'s are the only tyres that are truly bomb proof in my experience.

You're right though, if they do slow the bike down drastically, they'll get swapped for something lighter. At the mo, I run Durano +'s on the road bike, but I've already had one puncture within 100 miles of fitting them!

gannet

I've Conti gatorskins on my Cadenza (26" wheel) and find them great :biggrin:

Bike came with Conti Sport-Contacts which were ok, but puncture prone :sad:

Top Bottom