best simple hint/tip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Best advice I ever got was to ignore everyone's advice....

Did you ignore that advice :laugh:

Best tip ever?

£5 for delivering an occasional table in Hamstead for an upmarket furniture shop when I forst left school.

Half my day's money!

stewie griffin

Über Member
A teaspoon of clothes washing detergent powder dissolved in water left in a tea stained mug/cup overnight removes stains without scrubbing.

Cycling specific or just general tips? :giggle:

Good thing I read your whole post and didn't just assume that was some strange recovery drink :biggrin: :wacko:
You mean it isn't?......"Mrs T, can you drive me to the NHS walk-in centre please, I'm feeling a little odd!"

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Here's 3 (I'm feeling generous).

1. Get your saddle up to the correct height
2. Inflate tyres to a decent pressure (and top them up regularly)
3. Gear down and learn to spin

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Relax when climbing.

A Var tyre lever is a good thing.

Mickle your chain

Vaseline is a perfect grease for bike bits

Insulating tape is cheaper than rim tape

Good tyres are worth every penny .... and nowadays that's quite a few pennies!

Expensive groupsets don't make you go any faster, good wheels and tyres do.

Drago

Legendary Member
So many random tips...

On MTB's, and indeed many flat barred road bikes, modern hyrdaulic brakes are V powerful and have 1 or 2 finger levers. Run your levers further inboard if this is the case - you only need 1 finger on the lever blade and it'll help protect delicate hydraulic levers in the event of a tumble.

If you're touring, run your spare cables alongside the ones fitted to the bike. It makes swapping them over much easier, and is less of a faff to carry them.

Chrome don't get you home - ride the bike before buying. There is simply no other way of accurately determining which is the best bike for you. Buying from a catalogue is dodgy. The XT spec on the bike might look tempting, but quite often the Doere equipped rival has a better frame.

Lights - when buying lights make sure they all take the same size battery. Makes buying and running rechargeables much simpler.

If you do wear a helmet, dont be tempted to strap cameras, torches, anvils etc to them - having a solid object mounted in such a position that an impact could ram it through your skull kinda negates the whole point of a lid in the first place (and eys, I have seen this once).

Don't be tempted to gob off at motorists, no amtter how hard they try to kill you - it achieves nothign whatsoever, and stands you in the potential way of the next Kenneth Noye.

Top Bottom