Best sub £200 electric guitar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I just don't like the look of strats, isn't that terrible

are you ill?:becool::rolleyes:

For that money I'd be looking at used stuff and make sure I get it set up PROPERLY. I would rather play a properly set up cheap squier etc than a badly set up megabuck axe.

But you really need to get help with your telecasteritus, that is just soooooooo not in the Roolz of Rock;):laugh::laugh::wacko:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
BigonaBianchi said:
are you ill?;);)

For that money I'd be looking at used stuff and make sure I get it set up PROPERLY. I would rather play a properly set up cheap squier etc than a badly set up megabuck axe.

But you really need to get help with your telecasteritus, that is just soooooooo not in the Roolz of Rock;):laugh::laugh::laugh:

There was only one Telecaster and that was Rory Gallagher's. All the rest are for girls.:biggrin:

Incidentally you can apparently get a repro of his one if you are prepared to pay thousands for it but you could probably get the same effect by burying a boring one in the garden for a couple of years.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Rhythm Thief said:
My Strat is nice (it's featured in some of the YouTube clips in my signature). It's a 1979 model which someone's painted with a yard brush and acrylic paint, in bright blue. Looks horrible, really, but I like it.;)

So it's not the first thing you reach for when you've got a hangover then?

johnnyh

Veteran
hehehe I have a JV series locked away somewhere, the only official 'Strat' I own, and I don't think I have played that out more than twice ;)
It's all horses for courses though, pretty much all sub 200 note guitars will come from one of a very few far east factories, convince yourself all you like that they are different, that one brand is better than another, but much will come down to the quality of machineheads specified etc... (ie ones that cost £0.50 a set or ones that cost £2.50 a set ;)) Pricing determined by order size and value of brand name. Does anyone seriously believe there is a dedicated "brand x" R&D facility or factory?
Alot of the brandnames are just that, and many are owned by UK importers of varying sizes.
They pick the same models from the same catalogues, specify fixtures and colours and have their logo slapped on the headstock.
Grief I am a cynical old fart aren't I, but it's what I used to do :laugh:
Don't make the mistake of upgrading a sub £200 note guitar though, it will still be a sub 200 note guitar. Much of the tone comes from neck, body and the joint between the two.
The one place where Yamaha have differentiated themselves at this end of the market is due to their music schools, and maintaining a very good quality in student instruments across the board.
Never owned one personally, but could never knock the value and quality they offered.

johnnyh said:
Don't make the mistake of upgrading a sub £200 note guitar though, it will still be a sub 200 note guitar. Much of the tone comes from neck, body and the joint between the two.

I'm not sure this is true, or at least, it's not as true as it once was. Certainly my Squier tele (which, now I think about it, was £300) is as good as any Fender I've played; it just doesn't have the character and kudos of my old Strat. And none of them come close to my cheap sixties Japanese things (Teiscos, Zentas, etc) in terms of character.:rolleyes:

johnnyh

Veteran
ah yes Tanglewood, now I knew one of those 3 chaps very well. Look at same era Hohner product (laterly called Crafter).

I think intially sourced from Korea, but as with most things probably ended up sourcing alot from China (price drives everything).

Early Jap guitars often used a higher grade component that todays far east axe, ie the first Squiers being from US parts etc... so not a fair comparison with todays cheaper variants.

What they produce for 100 or so notes in China is amazing though, you take off the VAT, import duty, shipping, retail mark up, wholesale/importers markup, local tax etc and these things are being put together for SFA.

johnnyh said:
ah yes Tanglewood, now I knew one of those 3 chaps very well. Look at same era Hohner product (laterly called Crafter).

I think intially sourced from Korea, but as with most things probably ended up sourcing alot from China (price drives everything).

Early Jap guitars often used a higher grade component that todays far east axe, ie the first Squiers being from US parts etc... so not a fair comparison with todays cheaper variants.

What they produce for 100 or so notes in China is amazing though, you take off the VAT, import duty, shipping, retail mark up, wholesale/importers markup, local tax etc and these things are being put together for SFA.

I have got one of these at home. My kid is trying to learn it now. It weighs a tonne. It is a nice bit of kit and very well finished. My acoustic guitat is a Korean Crafter which has a nice tone (not as nice as the tone from a takamine though IMO)

Westone_Pantera_X390_12.JPG

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Just wanted to say went to a guitar shop today and they had a 2nd hand Yamaha Pacifica that I had a try on and liked. It's got a wood finish body and was £100 so I'm pretty pleased.

Cheers to everyone who gave me advice. Much much appreciated, cheers!!!

Mel.

P.S.

Now if anyone has any recommendations for a sub £100 Amp, please shout!

Radius

SHREDDER
Abitrary said:
There will be quality issues in *any* 200 quid guitar.

Really, the difference between a proper telecaster and a squier, or those fenderish yahaha ones is immense. It just feels so much more robust.

I prefer fender to gibsons, but for that price, then the epiphone will be a lot more solid, bangable.... and have more feisty pickups.

Andy in Sig said:
That's a couple of people now who don't seem to like Gibsons. I think my SG is excellent. So out of curiosity, what are your grounds for disliking them?

Quality control. The number of badly finished fretboards and gappy necks, dodgy pickup wirings, etc etc. Not good enough for a £1000+ guitar, and avoidable with other brands on an Epi-level guitar.

OP: For amps, try:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/70526

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vox-da5/69287

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Melvil said:
Just wanted to say went to a guitar shop today and they had a 2nd hand Yamaha Pacifica that I had a try on and liked. It's got a wood finish body and was £100 so I'm pretty pleased.

Cheers to everyone who gave me advice. Much much appreciated, cheers!!!

Mel.

P.S.

Now if anyone has any recommendations for a sub £100 Amp, please shout!

That sounds like a bargain to start off with. Nice one!xx(

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Top Bottom