Best sub £200 electric guitar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Radius

SHREDDER
I've got the big version (Vox AD50VT), and although it's stopped working now (xx(), it was a good amp before that!

I really fancied a Telecaster a few years ago. So I popped round to my local guitar emporium with a view to buying one. Glanced around at the wide selection; most were set up lovely too and because I knew the "boys" was allowed to have a go at as many as I wanted. Not one Fender was as good or even better than a Squire "20th Anniversary 'Caster" I'd tried. It even caused the boys in the shop to raise the eyebrows when they heard it!

Abitrary

Lardyboy said:
I really fancied a Telecaster a few years ago. So I popped round to my local guitar emporium with a view to buying one. Glanced around at the wide selection; most were set up lovely too and because I knew the "boys" was allowed to have a go at as many as I wanted. Not one Fender was as good or even better than a Squire "20th Anniversary 'Caster" I'd tried. It even caused the boys in the shop to raise the eyebrows when they heard it!

eh? I bet they raised their eyebrows because of some boring lick.

If you're happy with a squier, then you are a happy clappy chappy. I don't play much these days, but when I do I require the full US deal. The rull munch.

If I saw you in a guitar shop, probably playing heavy metal licks for attention, then I would subltely shoot all over you with a mix of country and western and classical. You would cry.

Squiers are fine. Only a big posing ponce would want a Fender purely because it says "Fender" on the headstock. The noise you make is all in your fingers anyway.
Like I said earlier, my Fender strat sits at home gathering dust now while I use my sub - £80 sixties Teiscos and Kays for gigging with. Much, much cooler than a strat.:rolleyes:

Radius

SHREDDER
Yup, tone is in the fingers. But you don't realise til you can do it.

Mr Pig

Rhythm Thief said:
I use my sub - £80 sixties Teiscos and Kays for gigging with.

I've been watching Teiscos on eBay and they all sell for more than that. I'm looking for a guitar with a 'wammy bar' for my son, the Teiscos appeal as they're a bit different from a cheap solid body.

They seem to be starting to go up in value, as sixties Strats and Teles reach ever more ridiculous prices. I think my most expensive one was £110, and my cheapest was £35. Just keep watching, and try Zenta, Satellite, Audition, Jedson, Top Twenty and Kay - they were all made in the Teisco factory and are all the same guitars, give or take.

Abitrary

A cheap guitar is like an itch you can't scratch. I advise anyone who gets into for more than a couple of years to spend at least 600 quid. Or else you're just wasting your talent and completely missing out. Especially if you want to do recording - it will make the whole process a lot faster and less frustrating.

Abitrary said:
A cheap guitar is like an itch you can't scratch. I advise anyone who gets into for more than a couple of years to spend at least 600 quid. Or else you're just wasting your talent and completely missing out. Especially if you want to do recording - it will make the whole process a lot faster and less frustrating.

Depends on the cheap guitar. I've been playing for nearly 30 years now and have played all manner of guitars, from Gibsons and Fenders, via Patrick Eggles and high end Washburns, to my Teiscos. The build quality of these things isn't great, but they stay in tune. Besides, the most important thing about any guitar is the noise it makes, and the Teiscos make a great noise. I record with mine, I use them live, I practise with them, and my 1979 Strat sits at home in the cupboard gathering dust. Honest, the Teiscos may be cheap, but they're the best kept secret out there, and only the likes of Jon Spencer, the bloke from The Kills, Seasick Steve and me know how good they can be.
Besides, everyone's got a Strat. Where's the point in looking and sounding like every other guitarist?:biggrin:

Top Bottom