Best tablet for me ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
why do you even need an app for youtube?
Call me a luddite but I minimise my use of apps.
I'm even worse, the only website I go on is this one, my phone is a Samsung no idea what number but single digits, I use a laptop with Vista for email and still buy CD's and DVD's. I go have a modern dab radio though.

I'm even worse, the only website I go on is this one, my phone is a Samsung no idea what number but single digits, I use a laptop with Vista for email and still buy CD's and DVD's. I go have a modern dab radio though.
the functionality of many "wonder apps" can as far as I can see be accessed just as easily from a web page - where I have more idea what the thing is up to. And have some chance of controlling/limiting it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Of course. I bet you still wear tie dye T shirts. I wouldn't expect any different.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Had iPads for years and was very underwhelmed, they seemed to slow over time. My son had a Lenovo tablet a few years ago and it's lasted well. We used it for home schooling over lockdown. It was only £120 iirc, and for me that's good value

Of course. I bet you still wear tie dye T shirts. I wouldn't expect any different.
now now mr cycleops - from my reading of cultural history rather a lot of the tie die tshirt bods became fanboys of all tech, and endangered society and us all in the process .
Besides I don't think "oldhippy" is all that old.
I still don't really understand his username.

(on apple - working in a PR agency with a design background a fair few years ago, their "products" often drove me up the wall - many's the time I threatened to throw my apple laptop through the window when trying to do something simple like write a plain text press releass)

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook.
The iPad must be 10 years old and still updates.
Tried Android stuff for my wife but they were a continual source of trouble. Mebbe I am particularly thick but since she continually got the software into a scramble I could never fix any of the problems. Recently found a Samsung she had and just cannot get it to do anything. It denies being connected to the internet but the symbols show otherwise and that is only one of the problems. Heap of junk.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I guess it's also a case of what you're used to. If you've used Android for years you might be able to navigate it better. Talking of which iOS is so much easier and logical to use.
One example, passwords. In Android you might think it's under 'Passwords' in the settings, but no you have to scroll down to 'Privacy', then to 'Auto fill services by Google ' and scroll up to 'Passwords'. In iOS settings you just scroll down to 'Passwords'. Easy.

You might recall a thread in 'Site Support ' where people were having problems with the headings including emojis greying out. It's still happening on my Android phone. No probs on the iPad though.

postman

Legendary Member
Fire tablet hd 8,eight rhymes with,well you can guess,you need fingers like matchsticks to type and it puts any word it likes in avoid like the plague.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
why do you even need an app for youtube?
Call me a luddite but I minimise my use of apps.
Okay then... Luddite!

Because my browser wouldn't work or update either! :laugh:

(It is possible that the original browser might still work but I never liked that and stopped using it very early on.)

Even when the YouTube app worked I couldn't play HD videos on that tablet. In fact the screen wasn't HD anyway, but even 720p videos used to be glitchy. The tablet had seen better days. I still use it for old puzzle games which don't demand much of the hardware or software. I also have Memory Map on it with my collection of British OS maps.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I guess it's also a case of what you're used to. If you've used Android for years you might be able to navigate it better. Talking of which iOS is so much easier and logical to use.
One example, passwords. In Android you might think it's under 'Passwords' in the settings, but no you have to scroll down to 'Privacy', then to 'Auto fill services by Google ' and scroll up to 'Passwords'. In iOS settings you just scroll down to 'Passwords'. Easy.

You might recall a thread in 'Site Support ' where people were having problems with the headings including emojis greying out. It's still happening on my Android phone. No probs on the iPad though.

As you say that is just familiarity with the product software - nothing to do with whether it is better or not.

Passwords: I would look at those once in a blue moon tbh and as passwords ensure privacy then that's where I would look.

My problem with Apple is the horrendous cost of everything they produce and market. It's not that we can't afford them we just don't see the vfm.

Nothing greyed out on this Android phone BTW.

Top Bottom