Best tablet for me ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Never had a tablet.
Family just bought MrsD an Amazon Fire 10.
I am impressed.
If I am correct Google tells me it costs £150ish but I may have that wrong.
Can I get better for the money??
Usage would be very basic.....

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Have a look at the Samsung range, don't get a 7 inch one

numbnuts

Legendary Member
7 inch are just too small, OK I can't see :becool:, no for some apps they are all right, but for looking at the web, they just don't cut it, to be honest I would like an 17 or 18 inch tablet they could call it a tray :laugh:.
Both my Samsung have been very good with long battery life, but go down and have a look at them before you buy.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
We've got a 7" Fire and a Samsung 10". Performance and screen are both underwhelming.
If you want the best possible experience with the best user interface shell out a bit more buy an iPad, you won't be disappointed.
As well as the performance and screen being miles better iOS is made for tablets unlike Android which is really for phones. Apple also support their products way into the future unlike many mainstream Android tablet markers.
I know I'll be decried on here but it really is the best experience, even the basic iPad. 10 7" is a good compromise. Go into an Apple shop and try one.
BTW I have an Android phone.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My old Samsung tablet had an 8.9 inch screen, which was just about ideal. My new tablet has a 10.1" screen. The bigger screen is better for viewing, but that extra size is surprisingly noticeable when holding the tablet. If you will be using the tablet on a table/desk or balanced on your lap, the bigger, the better. If you are going to be holding it in your hands for any significant length of time I suggest NOT choosing a large one because your arms will get tired very quickly.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Never had a tablet.
Family just bought MrsD an Amazon Fire 10.
I am impressed.
If I am correct Google tells me it costs £150ish but I may have that wrong.
Can I get better for the money??
Usage would be very basic.....

We recently bought a Samsung Galaxy A7 Lite (8.7" screen) on offer at Curry's for the dirt cheap price of £120.

Purchased primarily as a controller for our sound system but also one of us can watch iPlayer, YT etc with headphones in and generating no noise if the other one is reading or watching the TV. Great for curating my Spotify collection too.

Replaces 8 year old iPad which was blooming expensive and will no longer update - this rendered it completely incapable of operating the latest Spotify update.

I know @Cycleops praised Apple above (fair enough, he's entitled to his view) but after this iPad and two iPhones that are also not upgradeable any more we would not touch Apple with a bargepole.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In the interests of fairness... The reason that I replaced my 10 year old Android tablet is because it could no longer update certain apps. YouTube for example - it would tell me that I needed to update, but then tell me that the tablet wasn't up to the job!

personally I would avoid Samsung after an underwhelming experience with a 10 inch thing of theirs. Overpriced - lots of pre-installed junk, some of which hard/impossible to uninstall.

7 inch is good for other use as an ereader.

I recommend taking a look at Lenovo.

Recently got a Lenovo 8 inch with a mobile Sim - ideal - particularly if paired with a small chromebook - they will sync.

My advice - avoid Samsung, avoid 10 inch, go android, pair your tab max 8 inch and use the saved dosh to get a small chromebook.

(you will of course have to reconcile yourself to the fact that google will know even more about you than some of our dodgier mods)

oh - sorry @Cycleops would avoid the apple so sue me route.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
In the interests of fairness... The reason that I replaced my 10 year old Android tablet is because it could no longer update certain apps. YouTube for example - it would tell me that I needed to update, but then tell me that the tablet wasn't up to the job!

The way I look at it is our iPad cost £400 eight years ago and our Samsung £120 a few months ago.

No brainer for us - it's not a surprise and delight purchase for us; just a simple piece of utility hardware at a vfm price.

why do you even need an app for youtube?
Call me a luddite but I minimise my use of apps.

Top Bottom