Best tablet for me ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Opinions are so mixed aren't they.
I am impressed with MrsDs Amazon Fire 10 inch.
Long retired now so just need basics.
Email and web search etc.
It’ll likely be easier if you both have a device that works in the same way…so just get one of those 👍🏻 There may be cheaper but not by much

£88 for a refurb with ads
Deal: Fire HD 10 Tablet, Certified Refurbished, 32 GB, Black — 10.1-inch 1080p Full HD display, with Ads Amazon product ASIN B07P5VPHSQView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P5VPHSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_dl_70KX3BB9N9NS116A9G22

£160 new without ads

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Dave7 sounds like you just need a basic device like the Amazon tablet you mentioned.
If you want it for playing graphics intensive games and watching movies plus you might be using it for a good portion of the day and want the very best experience and you have the funds buy an iPad. It’s that simple.

BTW Amazon use their own OS so certain apps and features might not be available on it like YouTube. There is a hack but you might not want to be bothered with that.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
now now mr cycleops - from my reading of cultural history rather a lot of the tie die tshirt bods became fanboys of all tech, and endangered society and us all in the process .
Besides I don't think "oldhippy" is all that old.
I still don't really understand his username.

(on apple - working in a PR agency with a design background a fair few years ago, their "products" often drove me up the wall - many's the time I threatened

I'm even worse, the only website I go on is this one, my phone is a Samsung no idea what number but single digits, I use a laptop with Vista for email and still buy CD's and DVD's. I go have a modern dab radio though.
I was wrong, not Vista, Windows 7. Still works fine.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
tablets-of-moses-box-front.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The cardboard box is in good nick considering their alleged age.

The Fire's are fine, they do the job and are cheap. Job jobbed. Browsing, some video, sorted. Anything more complicated, laptop !
I've always wondered how compatible they are with android.
Can you run pretty much anything you can on a "normal" android tab?

(I ask as my 7 inch android tab (I also have an 8 - see above) is starting its battery decline and I will get a new 7 inch after a while - Iike to read library books on it - most online stuff I do on the larger tab and the chromebook)

Alex321

Veteran
Considering your Apple product has lasted 8 years @SpokeyDokey I think you've done well as most Android devices won't receive updates after two years, three if you're lucky (Android One). If you don't need the best experience then it's horses for courses innit.
I've only ever used Android phones & tablets since smartphones came along, and I've never had one yet which has only accepted Android updates for 2-3 years.

Though having said that, my current Samsung Tab-A (bought in 2019) may have hit that limit after 3 years. It is currently running Android 11, doesn't look all that likely it will get 12, though it has often been a few months behind, so could still come.

But even if it never gets Android 12, it will still be expected to work using Android 11 for several years to come. I've just had a look through a lot of the apps I use, and haven't found one requiring anything above Android 7.0 (which came out in 2016), most only need 4.4(2013) or 5.0(2014).

Admittedly, they are not releasing security updates now for any version over 4 years old.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you really can't do without the Playstore it is possible to install it in a Fire tablet. I did it on ours. Amazon periodically find ways to defeat it.

Not graphics intensive games like Genshin Impact.

Alex321

Veteran
I guess it's also a case of what you're used to. If you've used Android for years you might be able to navigate it better. Talking of which iOS is so much easier and logical to use.
The first sentence is correct.
The last sentence is only correct for you because of the effects of the first sentence. I don't believe either is objectively "better" or "more logical" than the other overall, they just have different ways of doing things.

Alex321

Veteran

(I ask as my 7 inch android tab (I also have an 8 - see above) is starting its battery decline and I will get a new 7 inch after a while - Iike to read library books on it - most online stuff I do on the larger tab and the chromebook)
They are based on Android, but always a couple of versions behind (the latest version - Fire OS 7.0 is based on Android 9.0, while the latest version of Android is 12).

Most things that will run on Android will also run on Fire, though they won't all be available in the Amazon Store, you may have to install google play store and "sideload" a few things.

Top Bottom