Best technique for steep hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Try get a run at it, the drop down the gears as necessary until you realise that clicking the lever will make no difference as you're already in the granny gear...

Spinning is better - I tried battling up hills in the highest possible gears thinking the effort was doing me good - I knackered my knees and was off the bike for 6 weeks :ohmy:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On a very steep hill (20 or 25%) you can forget about spinning because no matter how low your gears you won't be going fast enough. Start the climb slowly enough to get your breathing into a nice steady rhythm and only go full gas when you know you're close enough to the top to make it, and as @gavroche said a few posts ago, don't keep looking at the brow of the hill. It's like watching a kettle to see when it boils, it seems to take forever.

pjd57

Veteran
Really tough one , I pick the nice easy spinning gear at the bottom and just plod away.

No so hard , I like to do some work and get out the saddle .

I try not to change gear once I am in the hill.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Is it best to hit a steep climb in your granny gear and work through to a higher gear as you progress up the hill or hit it in a higher gear and work through to lower gears as the effort increases?
The latter, that way if you get the gear changes just right and timed well, you can maintain a fairly consistent cadence from the flatter bit up to the steeper bit. I even use slightly different gears for standing up pedaling vs sitting down pedaling.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It depends.
Fresh legs or tired legs?
Fit or unfit?
Racing or pootling?
Long hill or short?
Good surface or slippery?
Etc.

Top Bottom