Best things about your home town

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Walks
National Route 1 (still there and green despite the borough council's repeated attempts to let cars onto it)
The bar-restaurants on the South Quay
The Customs House
More cyclists than most market towns

As for the town where I first lived, I can only think of a pretty good town hall (even better decked in Xmas lights) and the not-that-famous cheesecake bearing its name. It's easier to name good things in the nearest city, which is probably obvious once I say redways and concrete cows...

rugby bloke

Veteran
When your home town was Doncaster, in the 70s and 80s, its always going to be a challenge. The people, the market, the Racecourse and some surprisingly attractive countryside ... plus the Flying Scotsman was built there. Set against this, it was always fighting a losing battle against industrial decline and political militancy that resulted in the socio-economic disaster that was the Miner's Strike. Slowly finding a new way forward and rediscovering a role for the future.

My home town for the last 20 years - Northampton. The rugby club, the shoes (if you can afford them !) and some fantastic cycling.

Sharky

Guru
Not necessarily the best, but these facts always makes me "smile".

As a teenager, living on Merseyside in the 60's, it was of course the Beatles, then the family moved down to Kent, near to Dartford where Mick Jagger grow up.

Secondly, our Local MP on Merseyside was Harold Wilson and down in Kent one of the local MP's was Ted Heath.

slowwww

Veteran
The people. I left my home town at 23 returning 6 years ago aged 47.

Our road has an annual street party, twice-yearly 'safari-suppers' (each couple cooks one course and then you got to others couples for the two courses you haven't cooked), a Halloween party, a Christmas morning run, the ladies have a monthly book and supper club (their husbands go to the pub the following night!), we have our own Facebook site where help is offered to and provided by others, and yet there is an unwritten rule that we keep out of each others hair other than these events unless invited.

And this is in the middle of supposedly unfriendly Surrey.

I can't think of anywhere else I'd like to live.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
As far as I know there has never been a murder .......as yet

matiz

Guru
I too live in Wolverhampton....though it seems mostly famous for knife crime, tracksuits & Steve Bull turning up to the opening of anything

Very true ,I visited my old street in Dunstall Park earlier this year police tape and blood stains on the pavement outside my old house where a young Polish lad had been stabbed to death.

robjh

Legendary Member
An outer London suburb. Nothing particularly bad about it, nothing particularly good. In fact nothing particularly anything, and nothing that distinguished it from the other outer London suburbs for miles around. At 18 I was pleased to leave and have never wanted to go back.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Apart from a brief spell owning a flat in Milton Keynes, which I hardly ever lived in because I was away with the green machine, I've never lived in a town.

I've lived in many places, but the early years of my childhood and the early years of my my twenties (with my teens spent in between in rural Bucks) were spent in Shetland, and I will return when Mini D finishes primary school.

I love the constant weather, the long winter nights, seals and puffins in the garden. Not so keen in the simmer din as an adult, but as a child it meant I could play with my friends almost any time of day or night.

In the village I reside in now Henry 8th had a hunting lodge, and an IRA arms cache was discovered in the woods in the early eighties. Other than that its pretty quiet, exactly how I like it.

Top Bottom