Best things about your home town

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I too live in Wolverhampton....though it seems mostly famous for knife crime, tracksuits & Steve Bull turning up to the opening of anything

Steve Bull once turned up when I opened an envelope. Having said that, he launched a new depot for a company I used to work at and he gave very good value. Stayed ages, signed everything and interacted well.

Despite living near Wolverhampton, my home town is Totnes in Devon. It was a good place to grow up. We fished in the river and cycled the hills. A Norman castle and Elisabethan buildings abound including a rare butter walk.

Full of damn hippies now.

Drago

Legendary Member
I already did that one, please keep up!

Sorry! I shall flagellate myself as punishment.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Black Jug
The Anchor Tap
The park in the town centre
The riverside walk
The multi-ethnic community after years of being white bread only
The cycle routes out of town to Warnham and Southwater
The great rail connections to London, Portsmouth, Southampton and Chichester
Surrey Hills on the doorstep
South Downs National Park on the doorstep

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Not much really. Stayed in East Kilbride until I was 18.
Blythe Duff from Taggart born there.
Lorraine Kelly worked for the local newspaper.
Roddy Frame from Aztec Camera and Dee Hepburn went to my school.
However
My adopted home town is much better :smile:
Portlethen, just south of Aberdeen.
Nice wee place, low crime, great neighbours, good local amenities and cycling routes.
Newly discovered lovely wee pebble beach.
Would never stay in the city centre again.

Gravesend, Kent.

The Riverside was good, especially when I was a kid and Tilbury docks, on the opposite bank of the river, were still busy. Lots of big ships to watch coming and going, and tugs busily working to control them. My grandad had been a merchant seaman all his life, and had worked on the river in his latter years, so he knew a lot about all the river traffic.

That's about all that was any good, if I am honest.

Brains

Legendary Member
Greenwich UK,
Not one but two UNESCO sites that I pass every day on the bike (plus a 3rd one by the office), so a bit overwhelmed with sunning views and architecture.
The River
The transport, if i don't fancy cycling, then there is always the bus, or the train, or the tube, or the boat, or the DLR, of the cable car, or even shanks pony. I could even drive!
Celebs all over the place, Jools Holland at the top of the road, a couple of other Squeeze members further down. Loads of people you say hello to because you know the face and it occurs to you 5 seconds later that is because they are on the telly every day.
Local bands and comedians that play the pubs (or which there are many) are using us as Guinea-pigs for their forthcoming world tour.
The O2
Three multiplex cinemas within walking distance
A real melting pot of people from all over the world, which means dozens of very good restaurants, we have at least a dozen different cultures within walking distance, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Turkish, Greek, Italian, Caribbean, Indian, even Fish n Chips !
And if all that is not enough, central London is 20 mins away, or Paris can be got to in time for lunch and if I fancy a weekend in the hills, I can be in Geneva faster and cheaper than I can get to the Lakes

The downside
Too many tourists
Unbelievably silly house prices
School catchment areas that are sub 100m from the school gate (and parents that still drive their kids to school!)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Being a RAF kid meant that I left the town of my birth, Hull, at the age of 3. I can find it on a map, but that's your lot.

After a wandering childhood and early adulthood I've settled in Winchester and can't see myself moving. It's got a reputation for being up itself, which is only partially deserved. So a good fit. :tongue:
Forget the cathedral, the very best place in Winchester was T. Foster and Son, tobacconist. A mind-bogglingly wonderful retail experience which sadly closed in 1978, the year I left town. It's been lovingly recreated in the City Museum and is supposed to be well worth a visit.
View attachment 361809
The museum is ok but not huge - I used to nip in there occasionally with Bolletta when she was little.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The school catchment is 250M in our quiet village, and still they drive...
Yebbut they can't walk because they'd be in danger from all the people driving :crazy:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sadly my home town has declined in the last 25 years. The tanning mill, pasty factory and quarry have all gone. There are still a handful of tourist attractions but despite growing in population, it has become a place for the elderly or unemployed.

Top Bottom