Best things about your home town

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
You went to grammar school, I graduated the OU, and we both ended up in Northamptonshire. What the Hell did we do wrong?
In my case it was only meant to be a temporary move up from London for work ... then I made the mistake of falling in love with a local ! Now it looks like I'm here for good.

Richard A Thackeray

Legendary Member
Plus Queen Elizabeth Grammar School - my alma mater.
Yes, true
Some of the boys from there, are in the Cathedral Choir, with my daughter
(& boys from her previous School went there, when the Junior School, they attended closed; Cliff School)

The old School, down by the Market is a very interesting building
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1095544

My daughter went here (just left), founded in 1779, you may have visited it, during various inter-school contests/games/matches??
An absolutely glorious set of buildings
http://www.ackworthschool.com/about/history/

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
After a wandering childhood and early adulthood I've settled in Winchester and can't see myself moving. It's got a reputation for being up itself, which is only partially deserved.
Oh come on! I love the place, visit regularly and part of its attraction is that it is totally and completely up itself. and could not care less about it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Haderslev, Denmark.

Well its an old town in Denmark
Clean
Lovely people
Lots of eating and drinking places.
Beautiful parks
Great buildings
A council who knows what it is doing.
Close to lovely countryside and nice beaches
Nice harbour area
Assortment of bike shops.
Excellent cycling infrastructure

View attachment 361901
apart from the "old town" part that's just a list of all the great things about every city/town/village place in Denmark.

Damnit.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Oh, all right. Red Kites.

I am really quite surprised by how little most people seem to like their home towns. Just goes to show how lucky us Brummies are. Although I wouldn't want to actually live there now.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Depending on which home town I'm thinking about it might be ships going up and down the Tyne, MGs and internationalism, the best university in the world or an enviable location on the top of a hill within easy reach of both London and open countryside.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Hmm.....decisions, decisions....

durham-cathedral-inggris.jpg

13808_2365133415008517ed3132.jpg
Durham_Castle15_Keep.jpg
HeaderKingsgate-Footbridge-Durhamc-Giles-Rocholl-Photography4.jpg

My other home town is Solihull. To be honest, the only things I recall with any affection were Tom Crowther Cycles, Dorridge Cycles, and the cycling clubs - Shirley RC, Midland C&AC, Solihull CC. And Warwickshire RC but they were over the border in Birmingham.

Top Bottom