Best Time to Buy MTB..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I'm in the process of buying a mtb (£600 ish) and some of the bikes I would like are not in my size (sold out) but some are.
I was waiting for the sales in January, but at this rate I'll not get a bike cos they wont have my size at all.

Should I buy now while some stock is left or be crafty wait till January and perhaps some of the dearer bikes might get reduced a bit and get a better deal..
What do you reckon?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You buying in UK or Spain?

What's your definition of a better deal and how do you determine if saving a few quid is worth sitting on a sofa for an extra month or more?

Have you considered secondhand or buying from the Germans online?

lulubel

Über Member
I don't think the sales will get any better in January than they are now.

If you're looking at 2012 bikes, they've already been reduced. The only reason they might get cheaper is because retailers are trying to shift the last couple of bikes they've got left in unusual sizes (the ones that don't tend to sell in large numbers, like very small or very large), but that will only help you if you're looking for an unusual size.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You buying in UK or Spain?

What's your definition of a better deal and how do you determine if saving a few quid is worth sitting on a sofa for an extra month or more?

Have you considered secondhand or buying from the Germans online?

Not too keen on second hand stuff not unless I knew the owner... :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I don't think the sales will get any better in January than they are now.

If you're looking at 2012 bikes, they've already been reduced. The only reason they might get cheaper is because retailers are trying to shift the last couple of bikes they've got left in unusual sizes (the ones that don't tend to sell in large numbers, like very small or very large), but that will only help you if you're looking for an unusual size.

Hi lulubel..
I have just got back from some Malaga bike shops and I will post some prices in an hours time.. I will check with evenscycles to compare.. I've been suprised by some of the prices over here.. they are on the good side.
Cheers.. :smile:

lulubel

Über Member
Hi lulubel..
I have just got back from some Malaga bike shops and I will post some prices in an hours time.. I will check with evenscycles to compare.. I've been suprised by some of the prices over here.. they are on the good side.
Cheers.. :smile:

Yes, I don't think prices are bad if you're looking for something fairly standard (as in, not looking for a very small ladies bike). I've never been to any of the Malaga bike shops, though, because I try to avoid going into Malaga if at all possible.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Here are some prices...

Focus 3.0 29 €550
Giant Talon 1 €1000
Giant Talon 2 €825
Giant Talon 3 €690
Giant Talon 29 €849
Trek 4500 €550
Trek 4700 €675
Trek 4900 €750
GT Averlanche 2.0 €600...

Mondraker which was €1050 reduced to €800 but I cant remember the name.. but it was nice, very nice.

Most of the UK prices are UK pounds so the Trek was £750 or €750 over here which at an exchange rate of €125 to the £ make a discount of about 20%..
On the riding front I want to do just general dirt/gravel tracks nothing more.. a few hills of course but no racing just normal riding really.

Cheers

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Done some looking at reviews and the Talons apart from the Talon 1 didnt rate too well..
Just trying to find more info on the Trek 4500, the Focus and the GT averlanche.

PS.. What have the Germans been up too then..

Motozulu

Über Member
Cubes mate Cubes.

Just arranged to have a 2012 Cube reaction saving £350. Have a look at what 2012 Cubes are on offer - maybe the Acid is more the price range you want?

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/6075/cube-acid-hardtail-mountain-bike-2012-sale

or how about the LTD?

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/6333/cube-ltd-pro-hardtail-cross-country-bike-2012-sale

Be warned though they are flying out of the shops - I got the last one in the shop today and you may find soon that only the unpopular sizes will be left after Crimbo.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Cubes mate Cubes.

Just arranged to have a 2012 Cube reaction saving £350. Have a look at what 2012 Cubes are on offer - maybe the Acid is more the price range you want?

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/6075/cube-acid-hardtail-mountain-bike-2012-sale

or how about the LTD?

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/6333/cube-ltd-pro-hardtail-cross-country-bike-2012-sale

Be warned though they are flying out of the shops - I got the last one in the shop today and you may find soon that only the unpopular sizes will be left after Crimbo.

I did look at the Cube Acid but I could only find the blue model and I dont like that colour and the white's had sold out of the size 18 and the white 18 I did find wanted £750.. so I sort of gave up.. :smile:

Top Bottom