Best Time to Buy MTB..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motozulu

Über Member
Shame that mate - a bargain of a bike. You're like me an 18 ins size. Whatever you go for I seriously would'nt wait til Jan. but I sympathise with your plight - buy now and more or less get the bike you want or wait til Jan and MAYBE get a killer bargain, or miss out altogether - it's tricky.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Shame that mate - a bargain of a bike. You're like me an 18 ins size. Whatever you go for I seriously would'nt wait til Jan. but I sympathise with your plight - buy now and more or less get the bike you want or wait til Jan and MAYBE get a killer bargain, or miss out altogether - it's tricky.

I was speaking to a mate on the coast and he reckons he can get even better discount on the Treks and I will only be using the bike for pleasure not racing and only doing dirt tracks so the bike aint going to get a hard life. :smile:
Plus if I got a nice mtb why would I want to get it dirty.... :eek: :biggrin:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
true but getting the size you want will get harder - especially medium - or are you talking other bargains apart from 2012 bikes?

Medium is quick selling so you wonder why the shops dont order more of that size?
The other problem I have of course is I dont know enough about the spec of a bike, as do most of the old hands on here.
For example evans are selling Trek 4500 for £600 and I can get one over here for €550 or £440 pounds so thats a good buy but spec wise I'm not sure... I can get a Trek 4900 for £600 which is the higher spec bike over here for the same price as the 4500 in the UK?
But the Cube I cant find anywhere over here.... shame. :sad:
I was thinking 2012 bikes as they would be cheaper and I must keep SHMBO happy on the spending front. ( I've only just got a new road bike 3 months ago)

SP.. I suppose I could ask you what Trek bike would be the same spec as the Cube Acid do you know off hand.

lulubel

Über Member
The other problem I have of course is I dont know enough about the spec of a bike, as do most of the old hands on here.
For example evans are selling Trek 4500 for £600 and I can get one over here for €550 or £440 pounds so thats a good buy but spec wise I'm not sure... I can get a Trek 4900 for £600 which is the higher spec bike over here for the same price as the 4500 in the UK?

You need to find somewhere selling the same bike online, and post a link, and we'll check it out for you.

But the Cube I cant find anywhere over here.... shame. :sad:

Hence Greg's mention of the Germans, and the link I posted. I bought my Cube from them, and we've also bought a Radon for my OH. Ordering from them is easy, their service is efficient - they're German; what do you expect? - and you can even pay by bank transfer from your Spanish bank account.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was talking in general. I am sure cycle retailers are also finding times are difficult so that might explain why some are understocked leading to problems getting hold of your popular medium size. But I am sure you will still find what you want at a sharp price if you shop around.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm in the process of buying a mtb (£600 ish) and some of the bikes I would like are not in my size (sold out) but some are.
I was waiting for the sales in January, but at this rate I'll not get a bike cos they wont have my size at all.

Should I buy now while some stock is left or be crafty wait till January and perhaps some of the dearer bikes might get reduced a bit and get a better deal..
What do you reckon?
depends on what size you are? 50% off is a good deal - hold out for that.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
depends on what size you are? 50% off is a good deal - hold out for that.

I am a medium on most bikes and tempted by the sales, but I wont get a bike to fit I bet.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You need to find somewhere selling the same bike online, and post a link, and we'll check it out for you.

Hi lulubel..
If you have a bit of free time could you look at the evancycles site and they have both the Trek 4500 and the GT Averlanch 2.0 and see what you reckon on the spec.

Thanks.. :smile:

lulubel

Über Member
Hi lulubel..
If you have a bit of free time could you look at the evancycles site and they have both the Trek 4500 and the GT Averlanch 2.0 and see what you reckon on the spec.

Can you post links for them, please? They're not coming up when I do a search.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hi lulubel..

Not much to choose between them. The Trek has a burlier fork, but the drivetrains on both are a typical mix of budget Shimano.
If I had your budget to spend today, I would be looking at the Radons at Bike discount. Just as an example, in 2008 I bought a Cube Ltd Race for £750. The Radon ZR team 6.0 2012 they list at £600 is better specc'd than my Cube was.
Simply astounding value.

The ZR Team 5 they list is as well specc'd as the Trek and GT and will cost you 100 euro less. And it doesn't weigh as much as either of them.

lulubel

Über Member
Not much to choose between them. The Trek has a burlier fork, but the drivetrains on both are a typical mix of budget Shimano.
If I had your budget to spend today, I would be looking at the Radons at Bike discount. Just as an example, in 2008 I bought a Cube Ltd Race for £750. The Radon ZR team 6.0 2012 they list at £600 is better specc'd than my Cube was.
Simply astounding value

Agreed. I wouldn't settle for Alivio and Acera if I could get better for the same money.

Boon, how much are those bikes you're looking at if you buy them in Spain?

For just over €700, you can get this Radon in a 20" (my OH is 5'6" and rides a 16" Radon, if that helps to work out sizing). I think this is the one Cubist was referring to?

The ZR Team 5 they list is as well specc'd as the Trek and GT and will cost you 100 euro less. And it doesn't weigh as much as either of them.

Seriously, look at the Radon bikes. My OH's is lovely. I was looking at them myself, and the only reason I didn't buy one was because the ladies versions are much lower specced than the unisex at the same price point, and I'm too short to ride a unisex. Hence my Cube (on sale) worked out better value.

If you live out in the sticks, and you're worried about getting a courier delivery, Bike Discount ship with dhl, but it's handed over to Correos when it enters Spain, so it will go to your local post office.

lukesdad

Best time to buy a mtb ? When you have some spare cash of course. Which reminds me something for the Red Kite series but don't tell LM, on a need to know basis and she doesn't need to know.:biggrin:

Top Bottom