Best Time to Buy MTB..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
The lower end budget.. from Spain..
Trek 4500 is €550 and the Avalanche 2.0 is €600 the Trek 4900 is €750 but I might still be able to knock them down a bit..

But I will look at the Radon bikes when I get back..

Cheers Guys..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Agreed. I wouldn't settle for Alivio and Acera if I could get better for the same money.

Boon, how much are those bikes you're looking at if you buy them in Spain?

For just over €700, you can get this Radon in a 20" (my OH is 5'6" and rides a 16" Radon, if that helps to work out sizing). I think this is the one Cubist was referring to?

Seriously, look at the Radon bikes. My OH's is lovely. I was looking at them myself, and the only reason I didn't buy one was because the ladies versions are much lower specced than the unisex at the same price point, and I'm too short to ride a unisex. Hence my Cube (on sale) worked out better value.

If you live out in the sticks, and you're worried about getting a courier delivery, Bike Discount ship with dhl, but it's handed over to Correos when it enters Spain, so it will go to your local post office.

So is the €710 the price you pay or are there add on's as well...

Cheers Paul

lulubel

Über Member
So is the €710 the price you pay or are there add on's as well...

There's shipping to add, which is about €35, I think. It's classed as a normal bike, not a trekking bike (which is more expensive).

You can also order an extra strong shipping box for €8, if you want to. People have reported re-using those to pack their bikes in for air travel - they're extremely tough, and it's a real bargain if you ever need to travel with your bike. Both of ours were just shipped in the standard box, which is extremely tough, and they arrived safely.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Could someone please look at the specs of the Trek 4900 for me and see if they are close to the Radon 6.0.. they seem close but the truth is I really dont know..
Thanks if you can... :smile:

Motozulu

Über Member
I've had a look and for what it's worth the Radon wins hands down on fork and brakes alone. The only thing the Trek has going for it it the limited lifetime warranty on the frame - but the 'limited' worries me so not sure how big a plus is.

It's a real shame there are no Radon dealers in the uk otherwise I would have had one. I got a Cube purely because it was available on the cycle2work scheme. Anyway - I digress - for me the Radon is a no brainer - that fork on the Trek and the avid brakes would mean I personally would'nt go near it.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I've had a look and for what it's worth the Radon wins hands down on fork and brakes alone. The only thing the Trek has going for it it the limited lifetime warranty on the frame - but the 'limited' worries me so not sure how big a plus is.

It's a real shame there are no Radon dealers in the uk otherwise I would have had one. I got a Cube purely because it was available on the cycle2work scheme. Anyway - I digress - for me the Radon is a no brainer - that fork on the Trek and the avid brakes would mean I personally would'nt go near it.

Thanks Motozulu..

Newsflash.. :biggrin:
I know a guy that know's the guy who runs Trek Malaga and he said whatever price they advetise a bike for he could get another 10% off which makes the Trek 4900 about €675 just over £500 ( £750 ish in the UK) The second reason was when I mentioned buying a bike from Germany SHMBO raised her eyebrows and I could see she wasn't too keen on that idea..

Cheers.. :smile:

lulubel

Über Member
The second reason was when I mentioned buying a bike from Germany SHMBO raised her eyebrows and I could see she wasn't too keen on that idea..

How long have you and this lady been together? I'm sure it's long enough that you should have learnt how to handle situations like this by now.

For example, when I wanted to move to Spain, I knew my OH wouldn't be keen on the idea. So, I spent a whole year talking about my desire to live in a converted double decker bus. I scoured the internet for information on how to convert buses, bought a book about converting your bus on a shoestring, chatted to blokes I worked with about sourcing "retired" buses, and talked about it non-stop when I was at home, despite my OH's obvious horror. Then, one day, I casually mentioned that Spain would be a nice place to live ... and here we are :biggrin:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
How long have you and this lady been together? I'm sure it's long enough that you should have learnt how to handle situations like this by now.

For example, when I wanted to move to Spain, I knew my OH wouldn't be keen on the idea. So, I spent a whole year talking about my desire to live in a converted double decker bus. I scoured the internet for information on how to convert buses, bought a book about converting your bus on a shoestring, chatted to blokes I worked with about sourcing "retired" buses, and talked about it non-stop when I was at home, despite my OH's obvious horror. Then, one day, I casually mentioned that Spain would be a nice place to live ... and here we are :biggrin:

I think Trudi's thoughts are... Why do I want to buy a bike I've never seen in real life, plus its from a different country and I've not even sat on one before? mmmm :smile:
Plus what happends if its scratched or damaged when I get it.. do you have 28 day return and........... :biggrin:

So I'm treading softly....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks Motozulu..

Newsflash.. :biggrin:
I know a guy that know's the guy who runs Trek Malaga and he said whatever price they advetise a bike for he could get another 10% off which makes the Trek 4900 about €675 just over £500 ( £750 ish in the UK) The second reason was when I mentioned buying a bike from Germany SHMBO raised her eyebrows and I could see she wasn't too keen on that idea..

Cheers.. :smile:
She needs new eyebrows.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think Trudi's thoughts are... Why do I want to buy a bike I've never seen in real life, plus its from a different country and I've not even sat on one before? mmmm :smile:
Plus what happends if its scratched or damaged when I get it.. do you have 28 day return and........... :biggrin:

So I'm treading softly....
So she doesn't buy off Amazon then?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Well I've got my mtb and put a deposit down.
The bike should be ready in a day or two as the colour I wanted was not in stock in there shop, so they are having it sent from there depot.

Its been a hectic few days and I've tried loads of bikes from Focus, Felt, GT, Mondraker, Merida, Scott, Giant, Bianchi, and Trek.. at least 3 or 4 bikes from each maker..
My spending limit was £600 or €750 but I went just over.
The bike I chose was a Trek Elite 8.5 in black and white and it will cost me €820 euros or £650 at the exchange rate and of all the bikes I tried I felt at home as soon as I sat on one.
The UK price from most shops for the Elite is £1000 and I'm paying £650 which is £350 off or 35% discount on a 2013 bike.
A few other bikes came into contention (Cube/Raydon) but these were from outside of Spain which create a few problems and the Trek shop is only 30kms away.
Will post some photo's as soon as..

Thanks for all your comments and help... :thumbsup:

Top Bottom