Best touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niblox

Hi all

Anyone got anything to say about the Ridgeback Panorama? I would like to know if anyone has reviewed it, and compared it to any other well established touring bikes.

Thanks in advance!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's a highly regarded bike and receives great reviews. I did consider it, but it was over my £1000 limit for the C2W voucher.

I got, or will be getting, a Kona Sutra instead. 2010 model.

Other options to consider are a Surly Long Haul Trucker, Dawes Galaxy, Claud Butler Dalesman, Trek Portland.

Slightly cheaper are the Dawes Horizon or Ridgeback Voyage.

Bandini

Or the Dawes Karakum: better specs than the Horizon and butterfly bars. Some don't like the look of them, but they are very comfortable.

Brains

Legendary Member
... and lots more that are over the £1,000 limit.

The Dawes Galaxy is the benchmark bike, measure everything else against it.

Take a look at the Thorn EXP as an example of money can buy (and remember to add the racks, the panniers, the upgraded saddle, the lights, the GPS, etc etc)

Johnny Fox

Moodyman said:
It's a highly regarded bike and receives great reviews. I did consider it, but it was over my £1000 limit for the C2W voucher.

I got, or will be getting, a Kona Sutra instead. 2010 model.

Other options to consider are a Surly Long Haul Trucker, Dawes Galaxy, Claud Butler Dalesman, Trek Portland.

Slightly cheaper are the Dawes Horizon or Ridgeback Voyage.

Collected my Kona Sutra last Saturday:smile:
It's really good and is (in my opinion) the Canine's bits!!!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Tell me more Jonny.....Tell me more...

I'll be collecting mine in April. What can I look forward to?

I test rode the 2009 model and it felt sharp and precise. It had MTB geometry which gives a slightly higher sitting position. I also test rode the Galaxy, which felt strong and surefooted, but it was duller.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Moodyman said:

I test rode the 2009 model and it felt sharp and precise. It had MTB geometry which gives a slightly higher sitting position. I also test rode the Galaxy, which felt strong and surefooted, but it was duller.

With 20kg of panniers and tent on it, dullness is not so much of an issue!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Agree Rich P - but 95% of my journeys will be main road commuting. The loaded tours will be occasional.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Moodyman said:
Agree Rich P - but 95% of my journeys will be main road commuting. The loaded tours will be occasional.

My Galaxy proved to be the equal of many a more expensive road road bike when I'm out Audaxing. I've surprised more than a few roadies as I've swept passed them - all 22 stones of me. Best experiences are descents when I can freewheel past frantically pedalling wannabees :angry:

My Galaxy is no more but I have two bikes that are betwenn Audax and touring bikes and they are marginally faster but not as relaxing as a Galaxy after a long day's ride.

StuartG

slower but further
That's weird because my 1979 Galaxy is the fastest bike too - downhill!

I've proved it time and time on club rides freewheeling downhill. Silently on my antique gearware unlike some of my whiney collegues ... and I'm only 11st 5lb

mikeitup

Veteran
Niblox said:
Hi all

Anyone got anything to say about the Ridgeback Panorama? I would like to know if anyone has reviewed it, and compared it to any other well established touring bikes.

Thanks in advance!

Lovely bike. Had a look at them at On Your Bike London Bridge. £1100 though :laugh:

I ended up (after looking at the Dawes Galaxy, Kona Sutra) getting one of these for £719 (£699 for the bike and £20 for delivery):

Claud Butler Dalesman 2008 52cm

Reynolds 631 frame, 520 fork, SHimano Deore & Tiagra components top bar brake levers, Scwalbe Marathons, WTB rims, mudguards etc. Similar spec to Galaxy Plus but with a cheaper rear rack (£50 difference).

Done 100 miles on it so far and swapped the Selle Rolls saddle it came with for my trusty Brooks Flyer (so I can use my Carradice saddle bags)

CBdalesman2010.jpg

Johnny Fox

Moodyman said:

Sorry bud, been a bit busy this week with work and forgot to reply…
The Kona Sutra, the best bike for my needs, commuting and weekend touring.
On a previous thread this link http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?593959-2010-Kona-Sutra-Review was posted and proved to be the deciding factor in my purchase.
Day to day use the bike is perfect, strong and surprisingly comfortable, good for Stoke on Trent roads.
I love it and hope you will as well.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?593959-2010-Kona-Sutra-Review

I have a 2008 Sutra and love it to bits. Looks like the new model has sorted out a few on teh negative points, mainly the mudguard issue, I'm still trying to find the best way to fit mine:blush:. The new rear rack also looks like an improvement. I do prefer the blue to the brown though:smile:

Niblox said:
Hi all
Thanks in advance!
I encouraged my mate to get one last year - he knew nothing about cycling and was having to give up running - he picked up an 08 model for £725 - the current price hike to £1200 is rather alarming, but we've seen similar for Dawes etc. It’s a very nice bike, had I not already invested in my Van Nich, I would have gone for one myself! It looks great, it seems very well built, paint is excellent, racks, guards, pumps, tyres all top brand name. The Galaxy is a similar spec, but recent ones I've seen somehow fall far short of the Ridgeback. There's a review here http://www.patricktaylor.com/170

Top Bottom