Best Touring Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roops70

I'm looking for a decent touring tyre, with good puncture resistance and low rolling resistance. I've got a Condor/Nigel Dean tourer with Mavic rims, and will be riding on tarmac almost entirely. I've decided that 32C is the best width for comfort v. speed, and the tyres that I've come up with (on a budget) are as follows, per pair and INCLUDING inner tubes:-
Vittoria Randonneurs £32
Schwalbe Marathons (not Pluses) £36
Continental Sport Contact £38
Panaracer Pasela TG £38.50
I'm particularly taken by the Continental Sport Contact, but haven't seen them much recommended for touring. I have City Contact 26x1.75 on my ATB/city bike and like them, and the fact they are slicks. I am quite heavy (100kg) and with the panniers and a fairly upright position am concerned the the side walls on the Paselas won't be up to it (I have 24C paselas at present - very worn).
Appreciate any input.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I started this thread some time ago and it may be worth skimming through it

https://www.cyclechat.net/

willem

Über Member
With your weight on a tourer you should really consider something wider than 32 mm. If not, you would need to inflate the tyres terribly hard. What is the widest that will fit your frame? Remember, narrow tyres are no faster than wider ones. In fact, on anything but a perfect road surface, narrow tyres are slower (see one of the latest issues of Bicycle Quarterly).
Willem

Rebel Ian

After encountering puncture issues I switched to Specialized Armadillos. Not had one puncture since. Not massively expensive either. They're what's going on my wheels when I do LEJoG next year.

Ivan Ardon

I've ridden the Vittorias, although in 37mm rather than 32s.

They last well and don't suffer from punctures too much, but they don't roll very well at all. Their maximum inflation pressure is rather low for us big fellas. For loaded touring, you're going to be exceeding the max pressures if you want to avaoid pinch flats. Overall not a brilliant touring tyre.

I've also run the Sport Contacts in 32mm. They didn't make much of an impression either way, TBH.

I've toured on a pair of very cheap (£6 each) Michelin World Tour in 35mm, and they impressed me more than both of the above. They look unworn and haven't punctured in over 2000 miles.

andym

Über Member
I really liked riding with Conti Sport Contacts,but I've never tried any of the others. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't work for touring - they'll be rubbish in mud mind you. the traditional image of the touring tyres is something with tread on it - now maybe tread is useful on unsurfaced roads (although I'm not convinced) tbut you don't need it for tarmac. I suspect any quality tyre from a reputable maker will work fine.

Maybe this statement is just showing my ignorance, but, provided you maintain the tyres at the recommended pressures I can't see any reason why you should have problems with the sidewalls.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Go with the Panaracer Paselas. Mrs A and I have used them on our tourers for a couple of years with good mileage and two p******s. One of them was the result of a sharp flint slicing the sidewall. The tyre didn't deflate, but I replaced it for safety's sake.

They are fast rolling and most importantly, comfortable. They are also incredibly easy to remove and fit.

I have toured on the original Contintental Contacts, which were good but heavy and there was a lot of rolling resistance. I think the sport contacts are lighter so you could give them a go. I have also toured on Schwalbe marathon racer, which are fast and light - I really love these tyres. I have 24" paselas on my Airnimal and they are also excellent. So you've selected a really good range of tyres, and any of those would be OK.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Schwalbe Marathon

willem

Über Member
If you want a fast and comfortable tyre, I think the Pasela is the best tyre that I know. If you want a reasonably fast and very sturdy tyre, get the current Schwalbe Marathon HS 368. It is faster and more comfortable than the older Marathons (though perhaps not as ueber sturdy), but also nicer than the new 2011 Marathon with its extra thick layer of anti puncture rubber. With luck you can now get a set of HS 368's cheaply. I never liked the Sportcontacts very much. They were only fast if you inflated them to high pressures, they were pretty puncture prone, and the sidewalls were underwhelming.
To follow up on my earlier remark on size, here is a graph that shows ideal pressures for various sizes and loads. With your perhaps 130 kg for yourself, your bike, and your luggage, and two thirds of the weight at the rear, you would need to inflate a 32 mm tyre to more than 5 bar at the front, and more than 7 bar at the rear. That will not be comfortable. Look here: http://www.vintagebi...es/TireDrop.pdf
Willem

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Have City Contacts on the LHT - 42c. For commuting I run the rear at 65psi, front at 60. I drop that to 50 all round for a plusher ride. The tyres do a daily 30 mile round trip in and out Manchester, and some weekend stuff on towpaths & gravelly roads. They seem fine.

Top Bottom