Best UK cities for Cycling (training)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DHogg

I see tons of articles about which UK cities are the best for cycling. These all seem to focus on things like cycle lanes, infastructure, commuting etc.

What are some of the best cities in the UK for cycle training? It would also need to be a somewhat large city, so i guess 250,000+. It would also need to have some varied lumpy terrain. As a benchmark, i've been surprised how good Kent and Surrey (and easily accessible from London)

I'm in UK for a few years, currently London, but looking to go elsewhere near the end of my stay for a summer.

I don't have vast experience of UK cities for cycling but I far prefer Edinburgh than other places I've been. I will admit I'm biased as coming from near there but I like their cycling community and its possible to find all levels/ types of cycling. SPOKES would be a good contact if you want to know about cycle training I think

simon.r

Person
Sheffield springs to mind. I've never lived there, but it's a big city and close to the Peak District.

Same applies to Manchester?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Leeds is great - and pretty good for cycling too. :okay:
The Yorkshire Dales to the north, the Pennines to the west, Vale of York and then the Wolds to the east (and best of all London is 200 miles away to the south. ;))
This gives you all sorts of terrain from flat(ish - this is Yorkshire after all), through undulating, to some of the best climbs in the country. Urban, inter-urban and fantastic countryside with quiet lanes within 4 or 5 miles of the city centre.
There is also the Brownlees triathlon training centre with all weather cycle track
Plus you've got £29 million worth of cycle super highway should you want to go to Bradford, although I accept this is fairly unlikely. :whistle:

And on a non-cycling from, it was the only UK city to make the 2017 Lonely Planet Top Ten European destinations list

I don't have vast experience of UK cities for cycling but I far prefer Edinburgh than other places I've been. I will admit I'm biased as coming from near there but I like their cycling community and its possible to find all levels/ types of cycling. SPOKES would be a good contact if you want to know about cycle training I think
I agree, the countryside around Edinburgh has great views and loads of great roads for cycling, easy to find quiet routes to get to them even from the city centre. And yes, loads of good hills too. The downsides are the weather and the road surfaces, both often appalling.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sheffield springs to mind. I've never lived there, but it's a big city and close to the Peak District.

Same applies to Manchester?
Sheffield is excellent as you've got hills immediately west and flatland immediately east

Manchester is OK but its a bit more of a trek to the hills, depending on which part of the city you live in

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Training as in general highway skills, as in sports performance, or something else?
For sprinting? For track riding? For quick hills? For long distances? For maintenance? For endurance in dreadful conditions?

@DHogg - more information needed.

Jimidh

Veteran
I agree, the countryside around Edinburgh has great views and loads of great roads for cycling, easy to find quiet routes to get to them even from the city centre. And yes, loads of good hills too. The downsides are the weather and the road surfaces, both often appalling.
Another plus for Edinburgh.

It's a great city plus the surrounding countryside has it all from good coastal routes into East Lothian or good climbing into the Scottish Borders. Plus if you like mountain biking you have the Pentlands on your door step or the Tweed Valley an easy drive away.

Top Bottom