Best upgrade route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
Hi

Really getting into this road biking malarky now and my mind is already running ahead about potential upgrades. If I wanted to upgrade my drive train piece by piece where would most of you start?

Currently got full Shimano Tiagra and just wondered what would be the one thing that could make the biggest difference to smoothness of changes, then the next etc etc!

Cheers :-)

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
To be honest there really is not much difference when you step up the range in term of smoothness, it's really about weight savings. I don't think you'd get as much out of a drivetrain upgrade as you think.
Now wheels on the other hand, can give a bike a totally new feel, so maybe look at some lighter or aero wheel sets / tyres.

My recommended area's to looks at that give the most bang for the buck (in no particular order):

1) Wheels (lighter or aero...or both)
2) Brake pads (something like koolstop or swissstop)
3) Saddle (lighter and more comfy maybe)
4) Tyres (for example I run Vittoria Corsa Evo CX as they feel like tubulars and make a huge difference to the ride quality)
5) New shoes or pedals (stiffer shoes can really make a difference)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Don't waste any substantial money upgrading anything other than wheels and tyres if you want to go faster and make your bike livelier. Good brake pads are a cheap and effective upgrade too.

Problem is that bike manufacturers lure you with the wrong stuff to get you to part with your cash, changing to Dura-Ace will look blingy but won't make you any faster, a pair of Michelin Pro Race for a lot less dosh will make a noticable difference and then stick them on some half decent wheels and you'll really notice an improvement.

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Ok two for two for wheels, I've currently got Axxis Classic wheels (stock on Specialized Allez Elite). what sort of price would I be looking at for a worthwhile upgrade? The event I'm training for is a 100 mile sportive with some hills if that helps.

Cheers

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Mavic Aksium's are a good fairly cheap/budget wheelset. I got some from my Specialized Secteur as the stock wheels were really poor quality. They are noticeablly lighter than the Alexrims they replaced. I also like them as they have cartridge bearings fitted, I prefer the zero maintenance of these and just buy new bearings when they fail. They look good too. I recently changed the tyres on them again and I was pretty surprised how light they feel for the price with no tyres/tubes fitted.

I noticed a big diffeence with these but it was probably mainly down to changing the tyres at the same time from 25mm down to 23mm and running at higher pressures. More expensive tyres also too. The ride has suffered as a result of the tyres but it is still pretty good on decent surfaces.

Top Bottom