Best value for money carbon road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamie Bassett

Hi all,

I am about to take on a big charity bike ride. I am looking to purchase a new bike for the ride, however I could do with some advice.

What are the best value carbon road bikes out there?

Thanks
Jamie

outlash

also available in orange
TBH, it's your budget that's more important as you can find value at any price point. Cheap carbon regularly gets trumped by Aluminum at the cheaper end of the spectrum.

outlash

also available in orange
Cheaper carbon - As Fossyant mentions, Planet X, Ribble, Dolan etc etc or keep an eye out for end of year (2016) bargains, they're starting to bring out next year's models so it's a good time to look out for end of line bargains.

Aluminium frames at the price tend to be better quality - Cannondale, Trek, Giant, a lot of the bigger brands' frames tend to be pretty decent at around a grand.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mach-740-carbon-road-bike-athena-id_8339672.html

This, takes some beating.

Planet X, Canyon et. al. have had some problems. Broken seat stays are never a good thing. Shop around, try before you buy ( if possible).
Lengthy waiting times for the Canyon but never heard of broken seat stays on either Planet X or Canyon.

User269

Cheap carbon? All frames and frame components come from the same few places. Cheap is paying less for the same frame as your Pinarello, Colnago (made by Giant) and so on.
Ever heard of Ridley? High end, respected Belgian frame manufacturer (ie; assembler). Get a Merlin, it's a Ridley frame, at less price. From Merlin it's even got the same finishing kit as the Ridley.
Carbon and Titanium are the best frame materials imnsho*, no matter the price point, any ride quality variations being due to the frame geometry mainly.

*Im My Not So Humble Opinion

outlash

also available in orange
Cheap carbon? All frames and frame components come from the same few places. Cheap is paying less for the same frame as your Pinarello, Colnago (made by Giant) and so on.
Ever heard of Ridley? High end, respected Belgian frame manufacturer (ie; assembler). Get a Merlin, it's a Ridley frame, at less price. From Merlin it's even got the same finishing kit as the Ridley.
Carbon and Titanium are the best frame materials imnsho*, no matter the price point, any ride quality variations being due to the frame geometry mainly.

*Im My Not So Humble Opinion

Whilst saying frames & components do "come from the same few places" (although it's more than you think), they're all built to the specs demanded by the companies that order them. Ridley may (or may not) get their frames made by Merida, but they're made to Ridley's design and spec. It's people like Planet X & Ribble who get open mould frames. Don't confuse the two.

Top Bottom