Best value triple pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've got two of the Raleigh ones and they've been fine. Nice and sturdy with plenty of room inside for my purposes.:thumbsup:

The downside is that fitting and removing them is a bit on the slow side because they use straps and buckles but other than that I'd recommend them.

I don't know anything about the other one but the fact the top bag detaches could be useful.

I had a set of the Lidl ones before I went back to my trusty rucksack. TBH they seemed pretty good for the money. Not sure you'd want to tour with them, but I had no plans to do that anyway.

The fitting was a bit slow and fiddly, rather like Rickshaw Phil described his as above, but once fitted they were secure enough.

I didn't even use the top one as it was completely unnecessary for what I needed. I got two Night Vision covers, (cost more than the ruddy panniers!), and they were great the short time I used them :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Oh, I should have added the purpose. I am going to use them for commuting to college so they will be holding books and my laptop. So I will need something which will be secure when I lock it up (secure in terms of people getting into them).
Is there any way to lock the zips on panniers to deter theives? (I will be locking it in a well visible, hopefully CCTV'd, bike rack on the college grounds).

sabian92

Über Member
Leaving panniers is a bit hit and miss with being at college.

I'm the same - I leave my panniers on all day and touchwood, nobody has nicked anything (although if they want my sweaty helmet then they're free to have it....) but if you are a bit worried, take them off and store them in a locker or something.

You can't really lock the zips because they could just take the panniers off (or failing that, just unscrew the rack and walk away!). I thread a cable lock through each of mine and through my helmet as well as the rear wheel so that might be worth considering but a cable lock is easy enough to break if you have time.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Yes I know. I am seriously thinking about going down on monday and picking up one. Just dont know if they are worth the money though (quality wise).
I had the lidl ones and they were fine. Carried heavy tools in them and shopping with tin cans and stuff. They will cope with college books no problem. If I carried a lap top though I'd possibly use the top carrier and have it padded out with a couple of old sweaters or something because it would be less likely to get bashed.
I wouldn't leave anything in my paniers that I couldn't stand to loose. Never mind taking the panniers off to get the stuff, someone could just slash the bottom with a stanley knife and get the entire contents in about a second. Get a proper locker at college if they have on. College bike racks are good hunting grounds for thieves who target them specifically as they know they will find good stuff.
In short my advice is the Lidl ones are great for the price and the job but don't leave anything in them. Unless the panniers are made of kevlar with padlocks on the zips. Which these aren't.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
None of these panniers is going to be secure to leave anything in while locked in a rack and I personally wouldn't even leave the empty bag on the bike because there will be someone who'll consider taking it. (That goes for other accessories such as the lights or trip computer as well.)

If you are taking a laptop, consider having it in a waterproof bag as I would not like to vouch for the water resistance. The Raleigh panniers will shrug off a shower or road spray (using mudguards btw) but aren't made to cope with a downpour. I don't know about the others but I suspect they'll be the same.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Lidl pannoers are not waterproof. I just used a bin bag as a makeshift liner although it does come with a cover I found this a bit cumbersome so never use it. I think you can't really go wrong with them for under £20 although you might want to spend more to get something a bit better looking.

Top Bottom