Best war film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
I thought that "Flags of our Fathers" was quite an interesting take on war, i.e. the real battle was going on in America, drumming up support and funding for the war effort through the selling of war bonds. The 'hero's' that were brought back from Iwo Jima had differing reactions to the situation they were put into, either understanding the importance of the job they had to do and getting on with it, or not in the case of the 'Chief'.

Overall though, not the best.

Melvil

SamNichols said:
Yes, much better. Flags is dire, Letters is just about bearable. And I use 'bearable' in the loosest sense of the world, as I despise Clint Eastwood's directorial credits almost as much as his acting (his partnership with Clyde excluded, of course).

Band of Brothers was great, if slightly bewildering (far too many characters all vying for attention, with the added bonus of seeing Simon Pegg in a tiny role, and David Schwimmer bellowing a lot).

Schindler's List is a modern classic, and Neeson is great as the eponymous hero. Probably the last great film that Spielberg made (Saving Private Ryan's first 1/2 an hour was epic, the rest was a bit lacklustre imo).

Gladiator, does that count as a war film? It's got a war at the beginning, anyway. Great film, but meant Russell Crowe now officially cannot act.

And, finally, I put in a vote for the Crusade sequences of Robin hood Prince of Thieves. Kevin Costner, the acting machine, hard at work as ever xx(

Cool, must see it sometime...what a horrible battle for both sides

terry huckle

It`s those just postwar British films I really like....they`re as much about the Britain of the time as the events they portray.

Tonight they were showing "Above us the Waves" on Film 4, John Mills Donald Sinden and others, stiff upper lips all over the place.

Too many of that kind to mention here, and some already have been....has "The Cruel Sea" had a mention yet?

dbg

Saving P. Ryan probably top for me too. Zulu was an excellent film for its time, when the Brits sing 'Men of Harlech' it gets to me every damn time!
633 Squadron wins for the theme music by a short head over the dambusters.
Don't think anyone's mentioned 'Memphis Belle' seem to remember that was a good 'un though a little far fetched.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It's those just postwar British films I really like....

I really like 'The Third Man' that's set in the post war times. It breaks with most of the usual stereotypes and actually has a Brit as the baddy. Although set in Vienna, the same rather dubious underworld was a common thread throughout the war in the UK itself but is rarely portrayed.

As for Private Ryan, it's a film of two very distinct parts. The first 30 minutes has value as a 'docudrama' and should be part of any national curriculum. But after that it's dire.

Cab

Am I really the only person who rates Cascablanca as one of the greatest war films?

rustychisel

Yes.

Saving PR for me too, although the original Longest Day is pretty good, as is Cross Of Iron.

Anybody see the latest 'Pearl Harbour' (Bruckheimer production) or Oliver stone's 'Alexander'? Complete cack.

Melvil

rustychisel said:
Yes.

Saving PR for me too, although the original Longest Day is pretty good, as is Cross Of Iron.

Anybody see the latest 'Pearl Harbour' (Bruckheimer production) or Oliver stone's 'Alexander'? Complete cack.

I actually watched Pearl Harbor expecting it to be pants - and I was still surprised at how bad it was!!!!!!!!

Cab

Tetedelacourse said:
I lasted an hour with Pearl Harbour and then went to watch paint dry to restore my pulse rate.

Shame. The 'Level bonus mission' at the end is hilarious. Terrible film, quite funny though.

Edit: A far better film covering this is Tora! Tora! Tora! Well worth watching that one.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Most of my favourites have been mentioned
Bridge on the River Kwai - first film I saw at a cinema. I have walked over the bridge and Mrs Hippo and I both stopped - a bit like Saito & Nicholson when they saw the det. cord.
To End All Wars - a true account about the Jap POW camps
Went the day well?
The Bells Go Down - although not strictly a war film but a wartime film.
In Which We Serve
The Cruel Sea
The Hill
Tunes of Glory
and many more!

Top Bottom