Best WATERPROOF cycle gloves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gratts

Altura nightvision get my vote. I put a some water on one of mine when I first got them and an hour later none of it had soaked in!
Want me to dunk one in the basin and really test it out? :blush:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
They don't exist - or are called washing up gloves:biggrin:. I've given up... and just make sure I take loads of pairs so that I can swap .. - I've tried Night Vision, Sealskin etc.

Chris James

Über Member
BigonaBianchi said:
...i need water PROOF gloves pdq...which ones are really waterproof and not just 'resistant' ??

Why? The purpose of gloves is to keep your hands warm.

If your hands are warm but a bit damp why should it matter?

Windproof is enough in my experience.

In any case, no gloves will keep your hands completely dry as there are two great big holes to let the water in - they also let your hands in.

spandex said:
I have some of these and they are fantastic

Gloves

I've got a pair of the Endura Strike for my road bike and I'd agree there good. The only slight draw back on somedays the inner liner goes in side out slightly when I remove the glove making them difficult to refit with numb fingers. My commuting pair are spesh Radiants, I think they are slightly more waterproof and definitely warmer but they're a bit bulky.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.

Hi Chris..

I prefer to have dry hands as well as warm...especially on long rides... I rode for over ten hours in continuos heavy rain in France and my hands looked like a drowned shrivelled corpses'...horrible. Also when you stop riding if you have wet hands you will get cold...also if you take off the gloves they will be cold wet and horrid when you put them back on again...

...nope..I definatly want waterPROOF.

looks like the altura nightvisions might do the job...only I would like them in the high vis yellow which it seems they dont come in...seems silly that given that the only time I will wear them is when it's raining and mostly that means low light conditions...

a_n_t

Chris James said:
In any case, no gloves will keep your hands completely dry as there are two great big holes to let the water in - they also let your hands in.

this.

Chris James

Über Member
BigonaBianchi said:
Also when you stop riding if you have wet hands you will get cold...also if you take off the gloves they will be cold wet and horrid when you put them back on again...

Hi Big,

I don't really agree with the bit above, but we all have different preferences. I don't care if my hands get damp as long as they are warm. I don't have a problem with cold wet hands, if anything wearing membrane gloves just makes my hands too hot for comfort.

As far as drying out is concerned, membranes make things worse as the gloves take forever to dry out when they get wet (as they inevitably will). A material like powerstretch would dry on your hands in minutes (albeit their lack of windprofing would make them a bit chilly for cycling this time of year).

I haven't used waterproof gloves for years, neither cycling nor hillwalking in all weathers and seaosns. If it is cold and wet and there is likely to be some windchill I use windstopper soft shell gloves when cycling which are pretty water repellent but breathe better than actually waterproof gloves and are also less faffy with linings and dry quicker.

In summer I would just use mitts whether the weather was wet or dry as they dry quick.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Chris James said:

Windproof is enough in my experience.

I agree with that

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Night visions aren't waterproof once you've had then a while and washed them, but they are very toastie.

They repel water for a bit, but if it's hammering down they get soaked, but you won't get cold hands.

Top Bottom