Best way over the Runcorn Widnes Bridge these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to go over it regularly but it's been a few years and the roads have changed so I'm just looking to see if my old way still works, so input from people who've been over recently or regularly much appreciated.

So I'll be coming along Dutton Way from Liverpool, having gone through Hale and the way I used to go was into Widnes centre along Moor Lane and then right towards the West Bank along Victoria Road and Waterloo road and up the nearest ramp to the bridge, so cutting out the long fast approaches further back. This still looks do-able but the ramp is just a bus and cycle lane now.

Once over my memory of the twists and turns fades a bit but I'm aiming to get on to Heath Road to get onto Clifton road and wend my way through the estates to come out at the end of the Expressways down Wood Lane past the Holiday Inn and then into Frodsham along the A56. I'm sure I'll remember this bit once I'm there but there seems to be some cycle paths there which never used to be there, so I was wandering if they were easier to use and easy to find?

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
AFAIAW there's no cycle lane over the bridge, so you still have the busy bit to go along. Brave man to cycle across it unless you wait for one of the regular clog-ups then it'll be much easier! I'd wait for the new one - they started it this week I hear! :smile:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I cycled across on Sunday and used this route:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=202234804594667281730.0004f5f5faba2cb7381fc&msa=0
The good news is that the dreadful path down the side of the Rocksavage Expressway has now had the overgrowth cut down and been partly top dressed. There's still a few roots under the surface here and there, though, to stop complacency setting in.
I like your way off the bridge to Clifton road better but I don't fancy the Expressway path, I'd rather go through the estate. Thanks for that, I'll modify my route over the bridge.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

AFAIAW there's no cycle lane over the bridge, so you still have the busy bit to go along. Brave man to cycle across it unless you wait for one of the regular clog-ups then it'll be much easier! I'd wait for the new one - they started it this week I hear! :smile:
I used to go over regularly. Just keep your line, pick up your pace and keep an eye over your shoulder. it isn't pleasant but it's ok. Of course, if you fancy stopping to admire the view, you can use the footpath, there's hardly ever anyone on it but if you do be prepared to feel just how much the bridge moves and don't go over if you are at all vertiginous.

Top Bottom