Best way to cool down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ELL

Über Member
Just wondering what people do to cool down when they get to work if they haven't got showers. I always have a wash down, spray of deodorant and a couple of glasses of cold water from the water cooler and this seems to do the job pretty well but always open to new ideas of a quick cool off before work starts so what do you do?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Ride the last half mile at a slow pace to warm down, and lose the sweaty arrival syndrome.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Tharg2007 said:
my colleague eats with his mouth open so so I like to stink the place out as revenge.

I have the same problem,sounds like a welly full of sick ! Sadly i have not managed to stink more than he does and he drives !!!!!

On another note...MAGIC 50th post !!!!!!

sticky sherbert

I work on my own so tend to walk around in my grufties untill I am dry, then deoderise and dress. I eat with my mouth closed so have no no need to smell any more than I already do.

nigelnorris

I take a water bottle full of ice. I usually ride wearing only tracky pants and a long sleeved T shirt even in winter so don't sweat much on the bike, it only starts when I get off and get indoors. Drinking half a pint of ice cold water as soon as I get in the door cools me down within a few minutes.

Obviously it's worse when it's raining and an extra layer is necessary, but even then the ice water trick works quickly enough.

Tenorman

I haven't tried this for a commute yet, because I don't yet commute to work by bike (two weeks and I'll be starting the new job - 18 mile commute each way), but I have already bought one of these http://www.fitsense.co.uk/blog/?p=370 and tried it out aftter a weekend ride. It's fantastic, both cleans and de-smells(!) and also cools you down. I hope it will come into its own when I start the commute.

g00se

Veteran
Run a cold tap in the loo and keep your wrists under it for as long as possible (minutes). You've got lots of blood running close to the skin there and the cold water heat-transfers from the blood as the colder blood pumps around your body - much like a car radiator.

Keith Oates

Janner
I sweat a lot when riding the bike and it takes me a good 10 minutes or more to stop when I get off the bike. I just get myself a drink and then sit down and take it easy by reading or being on the computer before going to have a shower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimboalee

g00se said:
Run a cold tap in the loo and keep your wrists under it for as long as possible (minutes). You've got lots of blood running close to the skin there and the cold water heat-transfers from the blood as the colder blood pumps around your body - much like a car radiator.

Yes.

Also, take a bottle of cold water into a loo cubicle, strip off, sit on the loo and dribble the water over your head.

Don't forget your towel.

leighd

I've have a huge floor standing fan stripped off and stood in front whilst wiping down (Do have my own office though). Worked a treat (along with the cool water).

simongrant

I wear bib shorts/longs,base layer and cycling jersey,all are high wicking fast drying and just change into work clothes after 5-10 mins,also spray deoderants are no good,i use sure for men anti perspirant stick(24hr proection).i have a shower at home b4 leaving for work and apply said stick and dont even reapply when i get there.Btw its a 8 mile commute and 8 home.

S

Zippy

I have short hair, but no shower at work, so I have one of those mop-up sponges I can run under the tap and rinse out over my head while bending over the disabled toilet. Then dry off with same sponge, leaving damp so the air cools me down a bit.

The lovely changing facilities some of us have!

Strip, wash in a sink full of water, a flannel, and some soap of some sort. Dry off with second flannel.

Usually does the trick. No complaints yet.

Top Bottom