Best way to deal with bad driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I was buzzed at speed again tonight. Didn't get a number plate, so couldn't report it. It did leave me thinking, what's the best way to deal with bad and aggressive driving if you can't involve the police because of lack of evidence etc, which is the case in most incidents? It seems senseless and feels wrong to me to sit around while your safety and that of other cyclists is being put in jeopardy. I don't want to get to the place where I accept bad driving as the norm and never do anything about it. Obviously, I'm not asking if we can go around beating drivers to a pulp, but there must be something to do. I don't want to spend my time moaning about drivers on social media either. Maybe campaigning more is the answer.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
If there were any easy answers to this problem, the UK and Australia would have become cycling paradises long ago. Except they haven't. :sad:
Best of luck in finding your own solution: I have yet to find mine.

I've got a loud voice, so when recently a boy racer passed me very close and at speed, then immediately skidded to turn left across me, I shouted "How are you getting on with your tiny penis?" I heard laughter from the passenger seat.

No, I didn't make the world a better place, but it made me feel better and made someone laugh. And possibly slightly humiliated someone who may - just may - think a little more next time.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just a thought but have a think about riding a bit further out, nearly a metre say. This tends to encourage wider overtakes and if the don't at least there's some space to wobble into. My nearest misses were when I thought I was being a bit too "asserrtive" so tucked in a bit. Got two very near misses in 200 yards, the 2nd of which was a truck and trailer pulling in before actually passing me. F€£# me that wS close. Back out to a metre from kerb ever since and fewer incidents

This may of course not apply to what you decribe, and couls just be shyte or hostile driving, but worth considering

Debade

Über Member
Working on the assumption that some people simply do not know better or are bad drivers, let me suggest some things. (In other words, it is not always intentional.

First, recognize that there is more then one study that says bright shirts do not work in terms of passing distance. Trek just sponsored a study, reported in the WSJ, that bright clothing wrapped around your knees (perhaps like a bright yellow football pad), so it is moving while pedaling, seems to gain drivers attention, while shirts did not. Another study, suggested a vest that said POLICE on the back, encouraged drivers to provide more room while passing. (The yellow vest, without police, made no difference). Knowing you can't wear the police vest, I wear a vest that says "Give 3 Feet - Its The Law" While not a studied approach, it seems to work for me. Finally the Trek sponsored study also suggested rear flashing lights. There are some now that work OK during the day.

I have a friend with a Go-pro. He will take the time to visit police stations with his evidence. He simply asks the police to speak to the motorist. He has had success with this approach but it is one at a time. Having said that, if a lot of cyclists followed this approach, perhaps one at a time would work.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
For some reason even though most of my riding is in the countryside I always seem to catch up with them at traffic lights or similar.

If this is the case it is surprising how apologetic and meek most drivers are when actually challenged on their driving. It is always a "mistake" or they can't remember it. I like to think teaching them the lesson that cyclists are shouty people who will bang on their window a bit is a good lesson in itself.

I have - once, after a particularly nasty piece of driving - reached in, removed the keys, and thrown them into the thick hedge a couple of hundred metres down the road, mainly because I didn't fancy nobber following me. The danger, of course, is that they will recognise you on another day. Had that happen once but the dimwits were in a company branded van so fairly easy to trace.

tl;dr Some drivers forget that cyclists are actually shouty people. Reminding them of this fact is usually punishment enough.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Working on the assumption that some people simply do not know better or are bad drivers, let me suggest some things. (In other words, it is not always intentional.

First, recognize that there is more then one study that says bright shirts do not work in terms of passing distance. Trek just sponsored a study, reported in the WSJ, that bright clothing wrapped around your knees (perhaps like a bright yellow football pad), so it is moving while pedaling, seems to gain drivers attention, while shirts did not. Another study, suggested a vest that said POLICE on the back, encouraged drivers to provide more room while passing. (The yellow vest, without police, made no difference). Knowing you can't wear the police vest, I wear a vest that says "Give 3 Feet - Its The Law" While not a studied approach, it seems to work for me. Finally the Trek sponsored study also suggested rear flashing lights. There are some now that work OK during the day.

I have a friend with a Go-pro. He will take the time to visit police stations with his evidence. He simply asks the police to speak to the motorist. He has had success with this approach but it is one at a time. Having said that, if a lot of cyclists followed this approach, perhaps one at a time would work.
The cameras thing would work sometimes. The rest is just top victim-blaming: there is essentially nothing you can wear and no manner of riding which will force others to behave competently.

I agree with the shouting. Sometimes I gesticulate at them. No swearing and usually with some idea of an escape route if it's another road rager who'll turn the car around or stop and jump out.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
For some reason even though most of my riding is in the countryside I always seem to catch up with them at traffic lights or similar.

If this is the case it is surprising how apologetic and meek most drivers are when actually challenged on their driving. It is always a "mistake" or they can't remember it. I like to think teaching them the lesson that cyclists are shouty people who will bang on their window a bit is a good lesson in itself.

I have - once, after a particularly nasty piece of driving - reached in, removed the keys, and thrown them into the thick hedge a couple of hundred metres down the road, mainly because I didn't fancy nobber following me. The danger, of course, is that they will recognise you on another day. Had that happen once but the dimwits were in a company branded van so fairly easy to trace.

tl;dr Some drivers forget that cyclists are actually shouty people. Reminding them of this fact is usually punishment enough.
The problem with being a shouty cyclist is that the drivers are in a big metal weapon so you don't really want to aggravate them further. Not that I've never shouted at them though.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
If there's nothing practical that you can do, just ignore the bad driving and get on with your life.
BTW, shouting obscene insults at the driver may help you in your quest for inner serenity.
It's hard to ignore when you know that you shouldnt have to put up with it as its illegal.

Top Bottom